Assessing your Risk level

Options

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I came out as four which is odd because I am a swivel eyed loon.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    bcfclee27 wrote: »
    I came out as a 4 also.

So would that put me in VLS 80 or 60 territory ?

At a guess, VLS 60.

For what it's worth I came out as a 5, but the bulk of my investments are in VLS 60. However, this has more to do with the figures Alex gives, where returns between VLS 80 and 60 are not that far apart, but the volatility is. I'll take the greater risk if the anticipated returns warrant it: if they don't then why would I?
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    Another point to consider about investment falls, which I feel is often overlooked, is the time they last for.

A 40% drop is easier to stomach if it is over quickly and recovers sharply. However look at something long and drawn out like the dot com crash. That bear market was a real stinker that lasted 3 years and wiped large percentages off equity portfolios. It's easy to imagine you can handle a 50% drop but can you imagine logging in every day just to see your valuation go down and down and down and down day after day month after month year after year? That is psychologically hard to stomach as you will really question if it was a good idea to invest or not.

It's easy to give the advice "only check once a year/quarter" but being honest the reality is most people check daily, especially with significant sums invested. Headline news about stocks dropping causes people to check more frequently also.

That’s when you take up a less stressful hobby such as base jumping, cave diving or ice hockey to take your mind off the markets. I opted for the third choice.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    I came out as four which is odd because I am a swivel eyed loon.

:D Perhaps I was wrong about my own nature. Maybe 5 is completely barking, the full Nigel Farage with a side salad and fries.
  • bcfclee27
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Did you have a play with the Vanguard asset mixer? It's a bit basic and only covers 30 years data but the real lesson is that there's not much difference in the average annual returns from a 60/40 mix at 9.54% and an 80/20 mix at 9.77% but there is a difference between the max annual drop of -16% and -23% respectively. Remember the max drop on a rolling year basis is likely to be higher and a market may drop for longer than one year.

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investing-explained/tools/asset-mixer

So basically if you are unsure then it might be worth playing it safe to start with while you develop your ideas further.

However your appetite for shares may increase as the market starts looking better value and may fall back as markets start hitting historic highs.

Alex

Thanks Alex that asset mixer has made my decision :D
  • bcfclee27
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    At a guess, VLS 60.

For what it's worth I came out as a 5, but the bulk of my investments are in VLS 60. However, this has more to do with the figures Alex gives, where returns between VLS 80 and 60 are not that far apart, but the volatility is. I'll take the greater risk if the anticipated returns warrant it: if they don't then why would I?

Great point well made.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 February 2018 at 10:48PM
    Options
    bcfclee27 wrote: »
    Thanks Alex that asset mixer has made my decision :D

Also worth checking out the Vanguard forecasts for 10 year forward returns in the below article. Although they anticipate that 60/40 and 80/20 are likely to have similar returns the upside possibly for 80/20 extends about 1% higher.

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/articles/latest-thoughts/markets-economy/why-investors-prepare-for-lower-returns

They are forecasting forward return at less than half the historical rate at around inflation levels so that possibility of 1% extra starts to be meaningful.

I look at all of this and conclude I am a 70% risk appetite but willing to extend to 80% in the right market conditions.

Alex
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another point to consider about investment falls, which I feel is often overlooked, is the time they last for.

A 40% drop is easier to stomach if it is over quickly and recovers sharply. However look at something long and drawn out like the dot com crash. That bear market was a real stinker that lasted 3 years and wiped large percentages off equity portfolios. It's easy to imagine you can handle a 50% drop but can you imagine logging in every day just to see your valuation go down and down and down and down day after day month after month year after year? That is psychologically hard to stomach as you will really question if it was a good idea to invest or not.
    Maybe that is why psychologically it is good to hold some cash, so that when there is a big drop you see it as a good opportunity to invest more at the lower prices.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    At a guess, VLS 60.

You are right, it was not much of a sacrifice to add a high bond component to the equities over the 30 year period ; adding 20% more bonds dampened the volatility of the equities somewhat without over-diluting their performance. So, the extra returns from going 80% equity perhaps didn't warrant it.

But, what we have just had in the bond markets is pretty much a 30 year bull run which is coming to an end, so a tool that shows you how the bond returns were quite high and not a drag on your equities over those 30 years, is not necessarily what you need to hear.

If you are talking about whether the *anticipated* returns (from now going forwards) warrant a particular approach, that's different from whether with the benefit of hindsight, the recorded returns seemed to warrant it.

One could say that 60/40 was the 'sweet spot' and there is at least one prolific poster on these boards who got nice and wealthy by using that ratio over three decades by investing a large proportion of income while tilting his equities to the US market which happened to be the best performing market in the developed world. He would say that based on his personal experience, a 60/40 mix of equities to bonds in trackers is everything an investor needs.

IMHO, history and hindsight is great for coming up with theoretical proofs of what you should have done over a period but chunks of history that give conventient results can't unfortunately always be relied upon for a look-forward projection.

The projection in Alexland's later Vanguard link is only a projection of course but it does at least incorporate the recent state of the equity and bond markets rather than just saying that for a given proportion of historic 10 year time periods from different start points, bonds did this and equities did that.

From that later link you are not looking into what you would have got with the *actual* strong bond markets of the last three decades but what you might get given a whole range of potential outcomes for bond markets. Which might legitimately not be as strong as they were over the previous three decades, changing your conclusions on the optimum mix, even if there is some maths elsewhere that says the 'efficient frontier' sweet spot in terms of stocks vs bonds is 60:40.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 February 2018 at 12:01AM
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    From that later link you are not looking into what you would have got with the *actual* strong bond markets of the last three decades but what you might get given a whole range of potential outcomes for bond markets. Which might legitimately not be as strong as they were over the previous three decades, changing your conclusions on the optimum mix, even if there is some maths elsewhere that says the 'efficient frontier' sweet spot in terms of stocks vs bonds is 60:40.

Thanks bowlhead99, more concise than usual, but yes that's why I added the second link for balance. I didn't feel comfortable with someone only making the decision based on the asset mixer as it does only cover 30 years data.

I share your concerns on bonds which is why I am currently limiting them to 20% of my portfolio with 10% flexibility moving from cash (where I get a modest return) and shares depending on market conditions.

I haven't quite decided on an algorithm for how this is allocated but if the 10% covers a 50% market fall (although it would be a smaller fall in my portfolio) then moving 1% into shares for each 5% market drop from peak seems reasonably workable. Although in practice it's more than 1% as in a market drop the cash is more than 10% of the portfolio.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport