PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• IrisViolet
    IrisViolet Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    74.95/400

8 days in and spent £74.95

I had to go to the shops as had underestimated how much fruit and milk to buy and needed some more. Along with leeks and potatoes for soup a d some stock cubes and yoghurt. There are 6 of us so I think this is a good weekly amount though next week I will need toilet rolls so may spend more.
    I've decided I will do my weekly supermarket shop on either Friday night (8pmish) or a Saturday morning. Then I can top up on Thursdays when I'm in the village if needed.
    I don't want to.shop any other times.
    Been freezing leftovers and using things up - hopefully all this will help a lot
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Well I've managed to blow over half the budget by 5 days in. This should be a fun month! I've been off work ill for a couple of days and pretty much confined to my bed exhausted but I'm starting to feel a bit better today so I've started doing a few things in the house and reading stuff online. That took me to looking on the AF site and sure enough to making an order. £54.43 down on lots of great bargains. I've got tons of bread flour, pasta, beans, cereals etc but heaven knows where I'm going to store them all!

So the rest of the month I'll need to be very sensible and just buy the fresh things I really need. Bread won't be one of them - I've got 12 bags of bread flour coming!

£ 54.43/£100
  • Grannymolly
    Options
    Today is NSD. I’m getting really into using up leftovers at the moment, I hate waste and I don’t see why that shouldn’t extend further into what we eat.

So today for breakfast we had potato pancakes made with some leftover cheesey mash potato pie from last nights dinner, with a poached egg and a slice of bacon. Was really good and used up something that may have been binned previously being ‘only mash’

Also just made ‘stem soup’ with a few broccoli stems I’ve kept and some cauli stem and leaves too. It’s really yummy, like a broccoli soup but milder.

I have ANOTHER £5 Morrisons voucher to use up but not sure what to spend it on yet, may wait until they have a good offer on laundry or something, I’m finding it much cheaper to use Mr A and ald! even with staff discount....
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
  • Grannymolly
    Grannymolly Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2018 at 2:05PM
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    Morning everyone.

Well I've managed to blow over half the budget by 5 days in. This should be a fun month! I've been off work ill for a couple of days and pretty much confined to my bed exhausted but I'm starting to feel a bit better today so I've started doing a few things in the house and reading stuff online. That took me to looking on the AF site and sure enough to making an order. £54.43 down on lots of great bargains. I've got tons of bread flour, pasta, beans, cereals etc but heaven knows where I'm going to store them all!

So the rest of the month I'll need to be very sensible and just buy the fresh things I really need. Bread won't be one of them - I've got 12 bags of bread flour coming!

£ 54.43/£100

Ooh. I may have a look on AF, hubby is a baker and bakes us bread very often at home so I may stock up too!
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
  • AprilR
    AprilR Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello, I was wondering if I could join this please, I know I’m a bit later than others but I’m hoping this will keep us on track. Me and my partner bought a house in July and are looking at buying new windows etc, so we need to be good with our shopping. I have a stash of toiletries from living with parents (wanting to try too many things, but not using them quick enough). Our monthly budget is £100, which to be fair we think is reasonable. We tend to stock the cupboards and freezer when we need it and then get essentials weekly. We cook most meals from scratch, and get inventive sometimes. We originally budgeted £150, but we felt we could do a lot better. I hope I can join you all on this journey 😊
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome, AprilR and good luck with the challenge :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • 2018saver
    2018saver Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't quite make it to the weekend. Spent £16.32 stocking up on some things for the LO in T/co.
    Going to have to try and keep the weekly A!di shop down on Sunday to claw back a bit!
    75.17/300
  • X_Duvessa_X
    Options
    Welcome AprilR yesterday was a no spend day :j:jand I'm aiming for another one today. Almost when to get some probiotics as I'm feeling so bloated with less carbs and more veg in my diet but settled on getting some L!dl Greek yogurt next time I go shopping.
    Think we will have hm fahita's tonight use up the peppers in the fridge and some frozen chicken. Will bulk it out with rice and sweetcorn for the small folk
    Jan GC £57.26/£50
    Feb GC £17.06/£60
    Jan - Mar WLC 6/11
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hmmm....
    did a morries order £45.75 and got a few bits from lidls totalling £5.05. that's a sizeable chunk of months budget.
    on the upside tho freezer and stores are rammed so in theory will only need fresh veg and bread, oh, and milk for dad.
    I always panic a bit when my initial shop is big, but somehow seem to managed the rest of the month.

fingers crossed!
  • ma-ri-ella
    ma-ri-ella Posts: 980 Forumite
    Options
    Today is NSD. I’m getting really into using up leftovers at the moment, I hate waste and I don’t see why that shouldn’t extend further into what we eat.

So today for breakfast we had potato pancakes made with some leftover cheesey mash potato pie from last nights dinner, with a poached egg and a slice of bacon. Was really good and used up something that may have been binned previously being ‘only mash’

Also just made ‘stem soup’ with a few broccoli stems I’ve kept and some cauli stem and leaves too. It’s really yummy, like a broccoli soup but milder.

I have ANOTHER £5 Morrisons voucher to use up but not sure what to spend it on yet, may wait until they have a good offer on laundry or something, I’m finding it much cheaper to use Mr A and ald! even with staff discount....

Do you work at morries aswell? ive been the same .I did pick up a 40 wash daz for £4 though so after discount 3.60 . A lot of things like herbal tea etc can be 1.12 morries ..67p asda .. Bread/milk is standard most shops? . You could maybe buy some of the reduced xmas stuff keep for presents during the year
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport