PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    In one area I used to live, they started calling a big clinic-type place a polyclinic - everything you can think of that was supposed to be local was there. Don't know if its still running, but it had to have a new name - perish the thought that it might be called a cottage hospital!
    Save

I think they are now supposed to be 'hubs' :cool:
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2017 at 1:43PM
    Options
    Looking after ourselves. There is a family member on DH's side who is now we'll into his 60's. I don't at all like him and he's not someone we keep in touch with. He actually gives me the creeps.

He's lived a life of binge drinking, eating terrible foods in vast quantities and now has type 2 diabetes to where his ankles have had to be fused as a consequence. Even having done through all that he still abuses drink and food. He's been battling something going on in his stomach that ordinary scans can't flag up because he's too fat. He's too much of a risk to have investigative surgery etc. This man has been in and out of hospital because of this, in pain and never really getting to the bottom of it.

Of course the hospital is carp, the staff are clueless, it's a ludicrous situation and I recoil in anger when I hear of his abusive ways to staff or that his wife takes in pies as snacks between the 3 course (and not too bad as I've had them) meals provided by the hospital.

My Facebook feed is full of his friends and family slating the NHS while I silently get annoyed. When is it his fault? He has abused himself all his life and didn't heed the warnings given when type 2 was diagnosed. He's costing the NHS a small fortune because of his ignorance and selfishness and doesn't even appreciate what has been done to help him in a situation that he has created himself.

The same for my aunty with COPD who takes her reliever inhaler so she can get up to go have a cigarette. I don't know how the heck I have the drive and education that I do when all around me is ignorance and selfishness.

So many mistakes in that piece. Apologies, I was on my phone.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    FUDS you can't change the world my friend, people won't listen and won't want to hear the message but you can change your world and make it a better place, we've seen you do it and there will be some folks whose lives will be changed for the better because of you setting the example in life that you have set. Look at all you have achieved in the past 6 years, look with clear eyes and see what an inspirational change you've made. You can only lead from the front pet, and you're doing that already. Your relatives have, like you, free will and unlike you choose NOT to make their lives better xxx.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hear, hear! The NHS is a treasure & those of us who can are doing our bit to prolong it by looking after ourselves.

Says she who has lost four stone after a somewhat-overdue consideration of my husband's insulin injector pen. No excuses - many of my family has diabetes, some type 1. So, I eventually looked & thought & y'know? I'm no fan of leafy greens & kale & the other healthy stuff, but I've been eating soup at least once a day most days & I think I've put that pen an easy decade further away into my future. I'll still pine for haggis, or a full English, but not anything like to the extent I did a year ago. A few more months & I'll be light enough to be accepted by a riding school to learn sidesaddle. (Since a new saddle costs about as much as my car, and the old ones are fragile they can & do restrict those who'd learn.) That said, once I've discovered if it's a skill I want to take seriously, I may save for my own saddle, but we'll see how that goes. I'm running three teens at present, all potential students so I certainly can't afford a horse just yet. Well, unless TEOTW is a great deal more Nigh, at which point sundry bets are off.

Anyway, part of my prepping is to be a great deal less of a potential burden on the NHS. What I can influence, I chose to!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's always been up to us to look after ourselves. Anybody who expects TPTB to do it is sadly deluded, as they are all too busy looking after themselves.
  • midnight_express
    Options
    On the up side people who lead unhealthy lives will save the state a fortune by dying at a relatively young age.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fuddle Are we related? Only this description fits my b-in-law to a t????
    Looking after ourselves. There is a family member on DH's side who is now we'll into his 60's. I don't at all like him and he's not someone we keep in touch with. He actually gives me the creeps.

He's lived a life of binge drinking, eating terrible foods in vast quantities and now has type 2 diabetes to where his ankles have had to be fused as a consequence. Even having done through all that he still abuses drink and food. He's been battling something going on in his stomach that ordinary scans can't flag up because he's too fat. He's too much of a risk to have investigative surgery etc. This man has been in and out of hospital because of this, in pain and never really getting to the bottom of it.

Of course the hospital is carp, the staff are clueless, it's a ludicrous situation and I recoil in anger when I hear of his abusive ways to staff or that his wife takes in pies as snacks between the 3 course meals (and not too bad as I've had them)

Since my heart attack I've done all I can do to stay as healthy as possible and it angers me when people like my b-in-law make no effort at all to help themselves and then criticise the NHS which is keeping them alive.

I wasn't going to comment on this topic, but feel I do have to say here that though that I was treated at a huge teaching hospital, I cannot, and will not fault the treatment I received, or the staff. I was in hospital for several weeks, saw a lot of doctors. Many were not familiar with my immediate medical history, but all made a huge effort to familiarise themselves with it quickly, and all were compassionate and kind. I'm not sure it's the size of the hospital that's the real issue. I think it depends on the staff, most of whom work ridiculously long hours and ridiculously hard. I'm so sorry though for those of you who have had bad experiences in large hospitals. Maybe I was just lucky.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    On the up side people who lead unhealthy lives will save the state a fortune by dying at a relatively young age.

I beg to differ. Those who lead unhealthy lives have an effect on their loved ones around them. Stress, the effects of stress and the lowered immunity that comes with it (recurrent atypical pneumonia, damaged lungs, acid reflux, adult onset of asthma, high blood pressure, fast heart rate and palpitations), depression, anxiety, PTSD because of the vile way those unhealthy people can die, neuroticism and social issues. Either my sister or I have suffered because of the unhealthy way my mam lived her life. Her late life, her death and the stress that it brought to both of us ensured that we developed issues that we will have to deal with for the rest of our lives.

I think a lot of it is down to a person's frame of mind Capella. I appreciate anything that can be done for me and thank everyone who works on me no matter how unpleasant it is. I know, boy do I know, that there are a lot of flaws in hospitals but I look back on my hospital stays as a way of being saved from death.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fuddle said
    I look back on my hospital stays as a way of being saved from death.

I feel exactly the same Fuddle, and count myself very lucky as a direct result of my time in hospital.

Midnightexpress
    Your comment isn't in the slightest degree accurate. People who lead unhealthy lives usually simply end up as burdens to those unfortunate enough to have to care for them And coversely those who strive to live healthy lifestyles, eat moderately and healthily, don't drink or smoke are equally likely, through no fault of their own, to die young.
    As prepper we can always try though to do our best to be as healthy as we can, and just hope that Lady Luck is on our side!

DfV Well done on the weight loss, and very good luck with riding sidesaddle. I have a friend who still rides sidesaddle at the age of 72, and who loves it.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    On another forum we were having a discussion about the dangerous times we live in and how could we stay safe when out and about.. but it got bogged down in talk of America and gun laws :mad:
    What do you all think we can do to keep ourselves safe in big cities and crowded places? All I can think of is to stay alert and pay attention, use your wits, be aware of what's going on around you at all times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure