Medical negligence- suspicious matter

Hospital lost medical record for my son 3 months after he was born? my son has been diagnosed with profound hearing loose what has been discovered 2 days after his birth day, and confirmed 2 weeks later on proper hearing test. I have spoken to one of my friend (midwife) and she said that he could lose his hearing due to usage of gentamycin course that has been prescribed to him just after he was born, she advised as to ask about medical records from the hospital (for my son and my wife) - we have requested copy of it and actually received but one file was missing- child drug chart- coincidence? Or they have hidden unconformable true? We took medical negligence lawyer but he ended up with same result- hospital lost file and can't find it. After around year time we got a call from the hospital with information that they have done genetic test for me and my wife and there was damage one of hearing gens on my and one on my wife and that's where the problem comes from. Interesting thing is that we never received that in written, also no one from my family or my wife's family had a hearing problems.
This even took a place 8 years ago and I am wonder if still can be done something against the hospital after that rather long period of time? If they still might have those record or they have destroyed them to get rid of evidence?

Comments

• Excuse me quoting but:
    Gentamicin is an antibiotic that is routinely used to treat 95% of babies admitted to special care baby units within one hour of arrival. This antibiotic is also often used in children and adults to treat serious infections.

Some children and adults have a genetic change that means they will suffer severe hearing loss or total deafness after a single dose of gentamycin. Approximately 1 in 500 people have this genetic change. Groups of people with a higher risk of repeated chest infections throughout their lives i.e. people with cystic fibrosis, are routinely tested for this defective gene. The current genetic test takes at least three days for results to be produced.

Newborn babies often need to be treated with antibiotics within one hour of arriving in the special care baby unit. The current genetic test that checks if they are at risk of hearing loss associated with gentamycin treatment is therefore unsuitable.

Our son was born 11 weeks premature and taken straight to NICU where they saved his life. I do not know whether he was given Gentamicin but, if he was, it would have contributed to that act - saving his life. He now has severe sensori-neural deafness. Was it caused by Gentamicin? We don't know. What we do know is that the action they took on NICU saved his life.

Sue them? Every day I thank them for what they did.

I can however reassure you of one thing - this risk is being taken seriously. There is a new research programme looking at a faster, bedside test for the genetic susceptability to Gentamicin, being carried out by the Genomic Medicine centre here in Manchester with support from both BLISS and NDCS. Link: https://www.manchesterbrc.nihr.ac.uk/news-and-events/manchester-researchers-lead-development-test-help-avoid-antibiotic-related-deafness-newborn-babies/ I am assisting in that research as a parent stakeholder. So whilst it may not help my child, or your child; with medical and technological developments, we may be able to help children in the future.

To me, that's a better outcome.

[/soapbox]
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • hmm, what we could see on the his medical cards was that he was prescribed with gentamycin as a prophylactic, where normally this antibiotic supposed to be used in life threatening situation only, spoken to my colleague who is a vat- same way they practice on animals as animals loosing hearing because of it as well
    what I heard from mentioned midwife- most of hospitals going away from this medicine as they had a lot of problems with that
    for the doctor's this antibiotic is very convenient as kills bacteria gram positives and gram negatives but is highly toxic
  • xednim wrote: »
    Hospital lost medical record for my son 3 months after he was born? my son has been diagnosed with profound hearing loose what has been discovered 2 days after his birth day, and confirmed 2 weeks later on proper hearing test. I have spoken to one of my friend (midwife) and she said that he could lose his hearing due to usage of gentamycin course that has been prescribed to him just after he was born, she advised as to ask about medical records from the hospital (for my son and my wife) - we have requested copy of it and actually received but one file was missing- child drug chart- coincidence? Or they have hidden unconformable true? We took medical negligence lawyer but he ended up with same result- hospital lost file and can't find it. After around year time we got a call from the hospital with information that they have done genetic test for me and my wife and there was damage one of hearing gens on my and one on my wife and that's where the problem comes from. Interesting thing is that we never received that in written, also no one from my family or my wife's family had a hearing problems.
    This even took a place 8 years ago and I am wonder if still can be done something against the hospital after that rather long period of time? If they still might have those record or they have destroyed them to get rid of evidence?

What does your medical negligence lawyer say? They are better suited to help then anonymous people on a forum.
  • xednim wrote: »
    most of hospitals going away from this medicine as they had a lot of problems with that
    for the doctor's this antibiotic is very convenient as kills bacteria gram positives and gram negatives but is highly toxic

Medicine moves on. Research moves on. Hospitals may well be going away from use of a particular medicine now, but you're questioning whether they were right to use it eight years ago. Gentamicin was routinely used then, and is still routinely used, because it is one of the best medicines.

I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic but I speak from both personal experience of newborn hearing loss and knowledge through the ongoing research study.

Good luck with your legal fight.

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

• after draining out governance pocket he got conclusion that problem has been caused by broken hearing gen on parents body :) we were lucky that we didn't have to pay those bills on our own ...
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I should imagine there isn't a family in this land who sometimes thinks "if only the doctors had known about this years ago, Auntie Flo would have lived another few years".

Until fairly recently Paracetamol was the goto headache remedy and every other little ache or pain, now it's recognised as being so dangerous you can't buy more than a few tablets at a time. Aspirin was looked on as likely to lead to bleeding in the stomach - now people are regularly prescribed one a day for stroke prevention.

Things change, medical knowledge advances - and be thankful that it does (and I speak from personal experience).
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 September 2018 at 4:43PM
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I should imagine there isn't a family in this land who sometimes thinks "if only the doctors had known about this years ago, Auntie Flo would have lived another few years".

Until fairly recently Paracetamol was the goto headache remedy and every other little ache or pain, now it's recognised as being so dangerous you can't buy more than a few tablets at a time. Aspirin was looked on as likely to lead to bleeding in the stomach - now people are regularly prescribed one a day for stroke prevention.

Things change, medical knowledge advances - and be thankful that it does (and I speak from personal experience).
    Not really a fair comparison. Paracetamol is still recognised as the "go to" in general pain relief, this hasn't changed. As with all OTC medicines there are restrictions in the amount you can buy but it's far from "a few" and any restriction is necessary to reduce the risks of overdose, which has always been a recognised problem with paracetamol. The advice on Aspirin has not changed but it's regular, low dose use for people at risk of heart problems is based on risk management, as it's always been.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!

Are you scaremongering, re paracetamol being “so dangerous”
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Aspirin was looked on as likely to lead to bleeding in the stomach - now people are regularly prescribed one a day for stroke prevention.

And just to demonstrate how quickly medical opinions can change :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45511362
    Elderly people in good health should not take an aspirin a day, according to a major study in the US and Australia.

photome wrote: »
    Are you scaremongering, re paracetamol being “so dangerous”

I think it was just an example of medical opinions changing over the years; let's not derail this thread.

• Sue them?

but think of the all the money the NHS has got.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure