Wearing on edge of tyre

Options
sevenhills
sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
31945605_10214575842524330_5147761760182206464_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeFZnp_bBi0Y7NtqNtGBgb8lhGQTZuv9kdvsqi7NuEq56_6rw2UnVtQfqLgtyBPK5Gz2UvgSbY5GFlboU7J_KzhMdB6O3Ocj5Ag904GJgK28EA&oh=4fb970552578e4dddecb310800baa21d&oe=5B591542

Comments

• sevenhills
    Options
    I drive the above VW Crafter van. The tyre is wearing on the edge, as can been seen in the photo. I have been fobbed off that its not related to the tracking.
    Surely its an issue that needs fixing? The tyre is not illegal. The tyre on the other side is ok.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Front left wheel? If so, do you take a lot of roundabouts at speed?
  • sevenhills
    Options
    Front left wheel? If so, do you take a lot of roundabouts at speed?

I just drive normally, is that normal wear?

Front n/s wheel.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »

Front n/s wheel.

It could be normal wear. Have the tracking checked somewhere different.

Our car wears its tyres to the inside edge but its not uncommon for a car / van / lorry to wear the outside or inside edge off. Rotate your tyres to get the most value from them.
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    Tracking out, its "toeing in"
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I drive the above VW Crafter van. The tyre is wearing on the edge, as can been seen in the photo. I have been fobbed off that its not related to the tracking.
    Surely its an issue that needs fixing? The tyre is not illegal. The tyre on the other side is ok.

Is this a working van that carries weight? I drive trucks, quite a few of ours do that especially the ones that do a lot of heavy loads due to the scrubbing on corners/roundabouts but I'd expect both sides to demonstrate it to some extent.

Only the centre 75% of the tyre needs to have a tread depth above 1.6mm so as long as it doesn't get to the point chords are exposed whilst it looks less than ideal its still legal.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options

Front n/s wheel.
    What's the other tyres look like? Is the tyre correctly inflated to the recommended pressures?
  • sevenhills
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Is this a working van that carries weight? I drive trucks, quite a few of ours do that especially the ones that do a lot of heavy loads due to the scrubbing on corners/roundabouts but I'd expect both sides to demonstrate it to some extent.

That is what they are saying, but if car tyres can wear evenly, why not large vehicles? I don't carry a lot of weight, slight edge wear on other side, but only slight. I do a lot of reversing and maneuvering.

Four years ago we had Renault Masters, no issues there, as I can remember.

Some of our vans say 58 psi and others say 65 psi, yet they look like the same vans to me; the plate in the cab says 58 for all of them.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife's 4x4 does the same.

A friend of mine worked for Jaguar back in the late 80's and early 90's. Various police forces using Jag patrol cars were reporting problems with the outside edge of the front near-side tyre wearing excessively and he was tasked with finding out why.

The cause was pretty much as mentioned in post #3. They discovered that police drivers, and presumably mere mortals, tend to drive round right hand corners/bends a lot faster than left hand bends. This shifts the weight onto the front left corner and, combined with the tyre scrubbing, this drastically increased wear.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a suspension and/or steering problem on that side, maybe a worn bush somewhere. Otherwise. as has been said, if the steering geometry was out of alignement, both tyres would show similar wear and tracking would be needed.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family