TV Licensing urges customers to check bank statements after data security alert - MSE News

Options
If you used the TV Licensing website between 29 August and 5 September you may need to check your bank statements for signs of suspicious activity, after the organisation admitted some transactions on the site were not as secure as they should have been...
Read the full story:
'TV Licensing urges customers to check bank statements after data security alert'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• MacMickster
    Options
    Yet another organisation which wants customers to carry out transactions online, but doesn't seem able to keep their data secure. Now they expect their customers to have to inconvenience themselves by checking all transactions for an unspecified period of time.

Perhaps we should be able to bill such organisations for the cumulative time that we have to spend as a result of their recklessness with our information.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's what happens when crapita is trusted with anything.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    It's what happens when crapita is trusted with anything.

It's what happens when organisations move transactions online thereby cutting staff and costs in an effort to make more money than they did before. They don't care about security because when their security inevitably fails everyone forgives them! Security breaches didn't happen when we took our tv license to the post office, paid the fee in cash and got a stamp on the license.

The real question is who's going to be next? Oh dear I hope Ye Olde corner Shoppe and the Gospel Hall are safe!
  • dizzyS
    Options
    I received an email after I changed my email addy on the TV Lic website in July.... asking if I would call them to give them my account details etc as my update hadn't worked! However, I emailed them to say that I would NOT call a telephone number that I didn't recognise and which was NOT on their website, as it could be a phishing email. They replied 'sorry - we do have your updates so you don't need to call us'. Was that the beginning of something fishy happening with them and their records/updates?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    It would be more honest to say "BBC and Capita".

And doesn't everyone check their bank statements anyway, every month? It only needs a quick glance to look for anything unusual.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 September 2018 at 11:51AM
    Options
    It's tricky for independent third parties like MSE. TV Licensing(TM) is presented as if it were a standalone endeavour - perhaps one with official status and powers.

None of that is true, and as you've suggested it is (merely) a BBC brand name, with a set of locally designed administrative processes that mostly lack legal status beyond contract law, and which is staffed predominantly by Capita Business Services under an outsourcing arrangement.

On the other hand, the TV Licensing hoax, such as it is, is so firmly implanted in the psyche of the British public that it probably makes most sense to use the name when describing these activities. Catch 22.

Maybe a more accurate headline would be: "BBC urges its TV Licensing customers to check..."?
  • Thankfully, this doesn't affect me, for two reasons.

1. I don't have a TV Licence.

2. When I did have a TV Licence, I paid for it at a Paypoint outlet, so the BBC have never had my Bank Account details.

I would urge everyone to do number 1, or, if you really must have a TV Licence, number 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure