Reversing car accident

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There was a police station in Coventry and the sign read “do not reverse park”.

Something to do with the cell block wall and carbon monoxide. The

Remember a friends parents lived in a 'posh' flats complex with many many rules.
    One being no reversing into the parking spaces as it dirtied the walls of the buildings.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The human eye cannot judge what speed a vehicle is travelling, yes we can tell if something is faster than walking pace but we wouldnt be able to say that a vehicle was travelling at 40mph when it should have been 30mph.

The onus is on the party reversing to ensure it is safe to do so as well as continually assessing whether it is safe to keep reversing or stop to allow a vehicle to pass.

If you have independant witnesses* ie not someone in your car or someone you know, they can confirm the direction of the other vehicle and whether yours was reversing then stopped to allow the driver to pass.

* if in Scotland the witnesses do not have to be independant and their version of events is given the same weight as an independant witness.

* if in England witnesses known to you any evidence they provide is usually dismissed by the insurance companies, but if it went to court a judge would consider it.

Follow your insurance company as they would not proceed with your claim due to the above.

Put it down to an expensive lesson.

As others have said, I also reverse into most spaces, it is easier to crank forwards to see cars approaching when driving out a parking space.

So are you claiming the human eye cannot detect a vehicle travellling in excess of a 30mph limit?
  • Emily.mcintyre
    Options
    I think the human eye can tell when someone is driving at 30mph instead of 5mph, especially when they get hit with that force by the vehicle.
  • Emily.mcintyre
    Options
    Hmm, maybe if you were the one hit by the speeding car you would think differently. I certainly didn't reverse into the vehicles path hence why two separate witnesses immediately came to me and not the car which hit me
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the human eye can tell when someone is driving at 30mph instead of 5mph, especially when they get hit with that force by the vehicle.

But 5mph is only a recommendation not a limit.

Have you got any actual evidence the third party is to blame?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    I certainly didn't reverse into the vehicles path hence why two separate witnesses immediately came to me and not the car which hit me

Of course you reversed into the vehicles path.
    You were in a parking bay and reversed out of it and the other vehicle drove into your car. If you weren't in its path, it would have missed.
    and as I reversed out of the bay, checking at all times, a speeding taxi hit the left rear side of my car.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm, maybe if you were the one hit by the speeding car you would think differently. I certainly didn't reverse into the vehicles path hence why two separate witnesses immediately came to me and not the car which hit me

If you didn't reverse into the path of the taxi, why did he hit you then? Did he swerve into your parking bay and hit you?

How did you know he was speeding? If you saw him speeding towards you, why did you reverse out of your parking bay.

Liability will attach 100% to you.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    To clarify the human eye can tell if something is moving slow / fast / very fast but cannot say what speed something is travelling at.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Here we go...If you are certain you are completely blameless in all of this, why did you post? Would you like to only hear from people who agree with you? If so:

Your dad is right, the taxi driver is completely at fault because s/he was definitely speeding and managed to hit you even though you weren't in his/her path.

Unfortunately, you asked for people's thoughts and the overwhelming opinion is that you will be held partly - probably completely - at fault by the insurers. It doesn't matter how much you try and convince people on here, which you haven't, it's what the insurer thinks that matters. The taxi driver's insurance will simply contend that you reversed out of a parking space into the path of a taxi that had priority. You're not going to be able to overcome that I'm afraid.
  • bonnyrigger
    Options
    Best of luck - with two witnesses you may stand a chance, all those rushing to say it's your fault were not there. If you had stopped and then he ploughed into the side of you then it's his fault - priority doesn't mean you get to plough through anything in your path.
    :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport