Mrs A Mitchell

Options
Ally67
Ally67 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 12 August 2018 at 11:13AM in Overseas holidays & travel planning
Hi Martin my partner and I booked a holiday to Malta for next year in June 2019 . We booked this holiday on 13th June 2018 . My partner payed her deposit on the 13th and then 3 or 4 days later I booked as well to go with her so £100 deposit payed . We have now spilt so we had to cancel holiday. Only deposit was payed and first payment was on the 7th August but we emailed asking to cancel holiday before first payment . We had not sorted off travel insurance. They are asking for £400 for cancelling holiday. This is with TUI .. Are u able to give any advice on where we stand please many thanks .

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What do the terms say? It's usual that the full deposit is forfeited for cancellation. Did you pay a reduced deposit?

You may also want to remove the name you've put in the subject line of your post, if it is either you or your partner.
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    What do the terms say? It's usual that the full deposit is forfeited for cancellation. Did you pay a reduced deposit?

You may also want to remove the name you've put in the subject line of your post, if it is either you or your partner.

They probably paid the low deposit to secure the holiday, the rest of the deposit, would still be due and yes cancellations mean you lose your full deposit but maybe the insurance will cover it.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you lose your full deposit but maybe the insurance will cover it.
    Ally67 wrote: »
    We had not sorted off travel insurance.

It is unlikely an insurance policy would cover disinclination to travel. Sounds like it was a low deposit which means the remainder of the deposit would need to be paid to cancel
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They probably paid the low deposit to secure the holiday, the rest of the deposit, would still be due and yes cancellations mean you lose your full deposit but maybe the insurance will cover it.
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    It is unlikely an insurance policy would cover disinclination to travel. Sounds like it was a low deposit which means the remainder of the deposit would need to be paid to cancel

From the OP this line "We had not sorted off travel insurance" could be read to mean they had sorted out any insurance. Not that I suspect, as already stated, insurance would help at all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure