Getting the Cat into the Cat Carrier

Options
My cat needs to go to the vet for her yearly healthcheck and vaccinations. I am going to make an appointment for her on Thursday. However, the last time we tried to take her she turned into a complete wildcat.

We used plug in Feliway and the cat carrier was sitting in the kitchen for a week for her to get used to it but as soon we tried to pick her up she got wind of what was happening and she went absolutely crazy. My husband had bleeding scratches and bites all up his arms so he put on some heavy duty gardening gloves but she was just too strong for us. We also tried wrapping her in a blanket as a last resort but we just could not push her into the carrier and close the opening before she escaped. In the end we had to ring the vet and cancel. Luckily it was a minor problem, a sore paw, which I bathed and it got better.

However this time she has to go. I asked the vets for something to calm her but they refused. I am just wondering if catnip would work or any other suggestions?
The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 August 2019 at 9:32PM
    Options
    shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_WfYL83dmzTkXr7Zd_YGKJHj3dn_ILo1U4lEInDJSConOfdM0Q6BRhkd9RqyqGC8NFOFnOA8&usqp=CAc

What type of carrier are you using? We've found (from experience) that something like this, which opens at the top, is easier than a hutch type with a little side door.

If you buy one, leave it open with a few dreamies in it, so kitty can see that it isn't something to be scared of.

Good luck !
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mrs slowcome always had trouble with hers,
    maybe google youtube it ?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    My top tip is to get a carrier that opens at the top, so you can lift the cat in and avoid trying to force them head-first into an enclosed space - that's the thing makes them panic. My cat is very happy to be lifted into his carrier now, it takes 2 seconds and no fighting!

Alternatively the trick my vet taught me before I bought a top-opening carrier is to lift the to cat somewhere fairly high off the ground, eg. a table, hold the carrier at an angle just below the edge of the table with the opening at the top, and then 'encourage' the cat forwards so their only option is to hop down into the carrier. Requires two people and the person holding the carrier has to hold it pretty firmly so they don't drop it when the cat hops in, but it does work!

Good luck!
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    This is the one I have - it's a bit pricey (mine was a gift from my in-laws) but it's so much better than the old one and my cat is quite happy to be air-lifted into it!

https://m.petplanet.co.uk/p34773/catit_cabrio_carrier.aspx
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,131 Forumite
    Options
    When I picked up my cat from cat protection they suggested putting him in backwards which worked for them. Alternatively I have turned the carrier 45 degrees so the door is pointing upwards and lowered him down into it

Having said that my mild and gentle last cat would grow an extra set of claws when I tried to get her into the carrier and it would involve blood loss and swearing
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_WfYL83dmzTkXr7Zd_YGKJHj3dn_ILo1U4lEInDJSConOfdM0Q6BRhkd9RqyqGC8NFOFnOA8&usqp=CAc

What type of carrier are you using? We've found (from experience) that something like this, which opens at the top, is easier than a hutch type with a little side door.

If you buy one, leave it open with a few dreamies in it, so kitty can see that it isn't something to be scared of.

Good luck !

My cat was semi-feral (and very big and strong) so getting him into his carrier was always a challenge.
    We had a carrier like Silvertabby.
    The best way we found was to take him by surprise.
    Keep the carrier out of sight and ambush him with a towel and drop the whole lot into the top-opening carrier.
    And breathe. :D
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Don't forget you need a copious supply of Dreamies as well so they are busy eating while you fasten the carrier.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    . !

I've had one of these since 1976 - it's seen lots of cats over the years.

My problem arises at the vets - he just won't have the needle - he was OK until he had two steroid jabs, the first was OK'ish but by the second he knew what was coming. . I ended up at the doctors with a deep bite during one visit.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2019 at 1:38PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    My cat was semi-feral (and very big and strong) so getting him into his carrier was always a challenge.
    We had a carrier like Silvertabby.
    The best way we found was to take him by surprise.
    Keep the carrier out of sight and ambush him with a towel and drop the whole lot into the top-opening carrier.
    And breathe. :D

We had a cat who would 'make like a starfish' as soon as she realised she was headed for her carry cage, so getting her in was always a 2 man job. Once we got to the vets, she would ram her head under my armpit and sing to herself - the feline equivalent of 'la la la - I can't see you so I'm not really here'. Never had a problem getting her back into the carrier after the vet had done what he had to - she knew she was going home !
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Heh cats.

One of mine is a pain to get in. Not once I've got her though, just hides under everything and anything if she get's wind first! I have have to put bed's on their side's before.

She also is impossible to give a tablet.

And also tend's to do a poo in the cage on the way to tell you what she thinks of the idea of going to the vet!

However onece there, all easy and nice to the vets, accepts all treatment and tablet nicely. So obviously just me helping is offensive!

Wouldn't have it any other way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport