Switching Time Frame

Options
vicks11
vicks11 Posts: 39 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I was wondering if there is a time limit when switching providers?

I switched from Flow Energy to EDF on 6th September, my electric was switched on the 26th September but my gas is still in the registration period, at the moment its giving a date of 1st November. Is there a time frame which energy firms must switch in? as 57 days seems a little excessive to me.

I've also had no contact from my previous supplier, every time I've switched in the past the old supplier would send a sorry your leaving message but I've heard nothing, I was waiting until my gas has been switched to check up with them as i didn't want to complicate things but not sure what to do now. :(

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Under the terms of their Licences, suppliers have 35 days from the date that they accept your application to switch to action the transfer of supply. The 35 days includes the 14 day cooling off period.

The losing supplier is not obliged to contact you as the gaining supplier manages the transfer of supply.
  • vicks11
    vicks11 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Hengus for making this clear to me, much appreciated :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No problem but one caveat. Licence Conditions are peppered with the words ‘reasonable efforts’. Lawyers make £Ms a year arguing about what is reasonable and unreasonable in contract terms. It follows that it might be difficult to prove that a supplier has breached a Licence Condition. If you report the supplier to Ofgem, they will just note it. Clearly, if a 1000 people make the same report, then they will take more notice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure