Info for PPI claim - mortgage account not showing on credit report

Options
As I don't have the paperwork for a mortgage I paid off in 2014 and I want to check if I can claim PPI back, I looked on my credit report. However, I can only see the mortgage I updated in 2007, when I bought my ex-husband's share of the house.

The original mortgage, which was in both our names, was taken out in 2003 and was a 10 year fixed rate with Britannia Building Society. When I borrowed the extra money I was still using my married name, though a year or so later I returned to my maiden name.

Does anyone know why the original mortgage isn't showing on the credit report? My credit report shows a link to my ex husband, even though it's 12 years since our divorce. Do I need to set up a separate credit report account in my old married name? Or can I find out another way? I don't have any mortgage account numbers.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't need the mortgage account number to complain about MPPI as the 2 products are separate, indeed, they may not even be the same company. You need to speak to whoever sold you the mortgage to check if they sold an MPPI package or not and if not, investigate who the policy would have been with then look into whether it was miss-sold and put in a complaint - nobody claims PPI back.

Your credit report should include your records from your old name (check if that's in the section for previous names) and if not then raise a case with the credit report people.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most MPPi policies are not linked directly to the mortgage. They dont appear on the agreements or any of the mortgage paperwork. So, in most cases, even if you had the details, it would not tell you if you had it or not.

A lot of Britannia mortgages were arranged via brokers/advisers/estate agents. Was yours? if so, then you would not have been sold PPI by the Britannia B/S
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your credit report only shows six years of credit or currently running credit, Your mortgage with your ex husband stopped in 2007, hence it does not appear.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure