Pay rise during notice period

Options
My notice period was extended by mutual agreement and a pay rise awarded.

What salary should be used for calculating redundancy?

The original salary when served notice or the higher salary that I will be getting paid up until the severance date?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it statutory redundancy terms ?
    If so I think it's taken as your average weekly pay over the last twelve weeks (including any regular overtime) capped at £508 a week.

If it's more generous than statutory then it's going to be dependent on the particular company policy.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Depends on , statutory or enhanced payment & statutory or longer notice?

If the salary is above statutory(currently £508pw) the employer can use whatever they like or just cap it

if not then the relevant date for the calculation of the weeks pay is statutory notice back from the date of termination
    (probably not applicable as notice was extended but the date is modified if the statutory notice would take you past the termination date eg where there is PILON).
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers.

It's enhanced plus an amount equivalent to PILON would have received so it looks like they can use whatever figures they like.

However the understanding, which is documented, when agreeing to the retention period was that the new figure would be used. Does that change anything?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have a documented understanding that the new figure will be used then what is your concern?
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    If you have a documented understanding that the new figure will be used then what is your concern?

Another colleague in the same position being given their severance figures which have been updated to reflect increased service but not new salary. When they queried this they were told that they must have misunderstood and the new salary was never intended to be used.

Not got my figures yet but it looks as if our then line manager got it wrong but obviously we based our decision to extend our contracts based upon the deal we were told we were getting.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The first thing to do if it’s incorrect is to bring the documented understanding to their attention.

After that personally I’d work out how much it is to decide whether its a battle worth fighting if it can’t be easily resolved.
    If it’s a relatively small figure it might not be worth losing references and good relationships over, but of course it might be possible to sort it on good terms.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    WYSPECIAL wrote: »
    Cheers.

It's enhanced plus an amount equivalent to PILON would have received so it looks like they can use whatever figures they like.

However the understanding, which is documented, when agreeing to the retention period was that the new figure would be used. Does that change anything?

Typical, new information that should be in the original post.

you have a contract, you are asking the wrong question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure