Amigo Loans really are an evil company

Options
beckt02s
beckt02s Posts: 9 Forumite
Hi all. Here for advice, not to be judged because it's been a horrible year.

8 months ago my partner and I lost our child and had to pay for a funeral. No savings so to speak despite both working incredibly hard. Also little family that could help. I also took very unwell due to the loss and had to leave work and claim disability benefits. Very shameful and upsetting for me.

We didn't know our options and having just lost a child were very panicked so we borrowed 7k from a company called Amigo Loans. My partner has a brilliant credit score (Or did have) so he acted as my guarantor. We borrowed a slightly larger amount than the funeral because whilst our little one was sick we fell behind on a lot of bills and my partners car repayments (Which he has now cleared due to the Amigo Loan)

The repayment plan was £320 a month for 5 years and at the time was affordable due to my benefits and partners job.

Again, another blow as my partner fell into deep depression and had to cut down his working hours. He's only 29 years old but his hair was turning grey and he was having seizures induced by panic attacks. He could now (And still can) only work for 20 hours a week and still has to pay for his car, the rent, food and other expenses.

We realised this meant we would fall short with Amigo so we contacted them right away. They know our situation yet seemed to get pretty angry with my partner on the phone. I understand they're just doing a job and likely do not care about our personal circumstances but my partner offered to go on a reduced payment plan and pay £120 a month for a few months (Still a push) and then asked if they'd re-assess his income and they got really angry over this and told him it wouldn't allow him to pay off the loan in a reasonable time frame and that they'd take us to court to get a CCJ on both of our credit files. He agreed to paying back £220 a month. They claimed they couldn't reduce it anymore without taking us to court. We've paid this for 2 months now despite really struggling to even afford food and rent.

I've no idea where to turn about this. We have tried to communicate with this company several times and yes I know we owe them money, I'm not an idiot but I've heard my partner begging with them on the phone saying he is willing to repay, we're just struggling and the woman 'helping' responded by raising her voice and acting passive aggressive. I have no idea how my partner kept his cool on this call but he did.

Should we just let it go to court and get CCJs on our credit files for the next 6 years? CCJs aren't desirable and we will probably be stuck renting forever and never be able to get our own house but it seems a better option than us struggling to buy food every month because of a crazy expensive Amigo loan that we took out whilst our minds were cloudy and panicked. We've fallen behind on many payments and even have arrears for our council tax. (However the council have been more willing to help than Amigo) We're in such a bad situation right now, I feel I can't even go on. It's genuinely making me suicidal. I've been given numbers for citizens advice and so forth but I've seen on this forum that they can't usually help with Amigo loans. I've no idea why this is or if I've read something wrong but I'm in desperate need of help, we both are.

Have any of you got any advice?

Any advice is appreciated in advance.

Comments

• poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    The Amigo loan is a non-essential debt in your situation.

You need to pay your rent, council tax, gas and electric, and food. After that comes the rest.

You need to put on here an SOA http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    where people will be able to help.

In the meantime, don't worry. Amigo can't take your car if it's still on finance.

As they can't go to anyone else for the money, you have Amigo in a better place than many others.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • beckt02s
    Options
    Hi. Thank you for your response. I asked my partner to fill out the expenses link you sent. We weren't sure what to put about his car as he pays £150 a month on finance so we just put that underneath 'Road Tax' however I'm pretty sure that isn't what road tax means haha.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1000
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 350
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 1350

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 510
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 90
    Electricity............................. 30
    Gas..................................... 30
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 35
    Telephone (land line)................... 5
    Mobile phone............................ 38
    TV Licence.............................. 15
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 25
    Internet Services....................... 5
    Groceries etc. ......................... 150
    Clothing................................ 30
    Petrol/diesel........................... 50
    Road tax................................ 150
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 5
    Other travel............................ 20
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 16
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 10
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0
    Haircuts................................ 10
    Entertainment........................... 40
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1264

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,350
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,264
    Available for debt repayments........... 86
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 86

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -0
    Net Assets.............................. 0
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 July 2018 at 10:44AM
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.
    You haven't included your debts (Amigo, Council Tax, car finance) on the SOA? We don't know what's still owing on these.Any debt on your utilities?
    Couple of things I noticed: no car insurance? Landline phone can't be a low as £5pm, line rental alone is nearly £20. Mobile: £468pa- you can get a SIM only deal for £5pm. Sell the high end handset and get a cheap smartphone for about £60.
    £300pa on Sky/VM: get rid of this and use Freeview/Freesat, you can't afford this.
    As mentioned above, you must sort out the priority debts, starting with Council Tax. Amigo is not a priority debt.
    It's not clear what sort of car finance you have: PCP, HP, lease, loan...have you considered terminating this?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • beckt02s
    Options
    Thank you for your response! Sorry that my affordability thing is as confusing. Basically we have internet and TV in a package including the phone line so what I’ve done there is split it amongst the different categories.

I don’t know too much about my partners car but I know his insurance is paid for by his dad (think it’s a joint policy or something like that? That was renewed in April and he doesn’t deal with it. In 2016 he needed a new car and sold his old one, he used the 2k he got for the old one to deposit a new one and now pays £150 a month on top of whatever he deposited. I think he’s due to pay it off next year as he’s been told he can switch cars if he wishes. I don’t drive so I’ve not a clue what this is about.

Thank you for all your advice. I think we need to make some serious cuts in our expanditure but I’m worried sick about amigo hounding us and taking us to court. The reason I didn’t fill in the loans part was because amigo is our only problem.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 July 2018 at 10:57AM
    Options
    Amigo just want the payments to be made, maybe defaulting is an option, speak to 1 of the debt charities.
  • beckt02s
    Options
    Forgot to add again, my mind is all over the place-

Not sure the exact amount my partner owes to the council tax but they’ve added arrears of £100 onto our original monthly bill. I think he didn’t pay it for something like 5 months (yeah I know, embarrassing and crazy) we had a statement through from them after he arranged a plan saying our monthly council tax is now £201, before that it was £90, so I’m presuming they’ve added arrears onto it. I don’t usually deal with finances, he’s left for work as we speak and says on his lunch breaks he’s calling the council again to see if the payments can be lowered.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Road tax isnt £150 a month - Also £150 a month for food isnt very realistic - nothing for servicing and MOT's.

Suggest you update this with the car value/running costs/amount left on the loan/hp/pcp and look at your food budget.

I would reduce the payments to Amigo to £1 - tell them that you feel that you and your family are in a vulnerable situation and seeking profession/financial assistance (in writing).

Your not in enough debt (yet) to go IVA but maybe a DMP may be better but unfortunately without money from above you will not be able to meet the Amigo loan payments and your credit file will almost certainly be toast for a few years.

Have you and your partner done the PPI reclaim thing already?
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Road tax isnt £150 a month
    She explained at the top above the SOA that thew £150 is the car finance not road tax
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »

Your not in enough debt (yet) to go IVA but maybe a DMP may be better but unfortunately without money from above you will not be able to meet the Amigo loan payments and your credit file will almost certainly be toast for a few years.

The OP doesn't have property to protect so an IVA is unlikely to ever be a suitable choice. A debt relief order on the other hand might be the best choice.

I recommend that the OP contacts one of the debt charities for advice:

CAP UK: https://capuk.org/

National Debtline: https://www.nationaldebtline.org/

Step Change: https://www.stepchange.org/
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Have you put your details into a benefits checker? https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ It may be that you're entitled to a little housing benefit, which will be a help at the moment. Your water company should have a fund for people who are finding paying their bill difficult too, so you can call and ask them about this.

It would be a good idea to get in touch with someone, like National Debt Line (they have a web chat if this is easier for you to do).

I'm so very sorry for your loss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport