Sunday roast Toby Carvery

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Crown vs. Toby?

Crown is cheaper (£4.29 for medium carvery, Mon-Sat, is a bargain, especially as you can (technically) have unlimited veg & potatoes). However, the meat portions are not particularly generous, and often one or more of the joints look unappetising. I would suggest the Half Roast Chicken at the same price, though it will involve a certain amount of de-boning.

My more limited experience of Toby is that the food is generally of a better quality than Crown, though it is £2 more per meal. I went to a Toby just before Christmas, and the Chef had already portioned out a number of servings of beef, which were quite generous (about 6 thick slices). The beef was juicy, although slightly too well cooked not to be chewy. The starter of Prawn & Crab Cocktail was poor (very little crab, and quite small overall).

I don't think either of them is near perfect. If you want maximum food for least money, the Chicken at Crown is a good bet. Otherwise, I think I probably prefer the slightly higher quality at Toby, though I'm not sure it is worth £2 extra.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We used to go to Toby Carvery because it was good vfm. However I think the quality has gone down. Last time my beef was more than half fat, which I don't like. I said something to them and they gave me a replacement plate of fat. They apologised and said it was just an unlucky day as the meat is not usually that fatty.

We tend to go to local pubs now as although they are a bit more expensive than Toby the quality and the meat portions are much better.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've found in more recent months Toby Carvery tend to fare better at their breakfast offerings instead of the meals in the afternoon/evening.

Interestingly enough Crown Carvery are also owned by Mitchell & Butlers whom also own Toby Carvery.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to like them - my local one, though, does a shockingly poor tasting/quality dinner.

Sunday Roast at mine is £9.49 - although they do a "meat free carvery" where you just get the veggies etc for £5.29 ("All your favourites from the carvery
    deck - without the meat."). This is what I usually opt for at carveries as I don't like the way they slice through the skin/fat and it's all mixed up in a slice of meat.

Christmas Dinner this year was £48! I had no intention of going, of course, I just looked to see how much it would be in a theoretical world.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 December 2016 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Quite a few Toby's near me, only one that i would recommend though. If you can find a Farmhouse Inns Carvery Pub, i feel these are far better than Toby's. Choice of size of carvery, starting at 4.95, new one opened near me recently, been 3 times now, excellent each time and good value for money for the medium plate at 6.95. Definitely no room for the ginormous Cakeaway desserts they do ! Plus they have a separate area for diners without children ! I have children but don't want to sit with a dozen 2 year olds when i eat out.

You can also get a carvery meal to takeaway.

http://www.farmhouseinns.co.uk/pubs
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    25% off at Toby, but not Sundays

Full details

http://www.tobycarvery.co.uk/offers/new-year-2017

TERMS & CONDITIONS (25% off food): This offer is available Monday to Thursday, from 28 December 2016 to 19 January 2017 (inclusive). This offer is not valid on bank holidays, and is only valid until 5pm on New Year’s Eve. One voucher entitles the bearer and up to six guests to 25% off their food bill when £15 or more is spent on food. when a main meal is purchased. One voucher can be used per party. It is not valid for breakfast or drinks; and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. The voucher must be shown at the time of ordering and is valid in all Toby Carvery restaurants.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 December 2016 at 12:36AM
    Options
    although they do a "meat free carvery" where you just get the veggies etc for £5.29 ("All your favourites from the carvery
    deck - without the meat.").

On two occasions, this amounted to a plate of "roast" - ie deep fried potatoes and some kind of gravy for one of my lot.

They still charged full price.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    20aday wrote: »
    Interestingly enough Crown Carvery are also owned by Mitchell & Butlers whom also own Toby Carvery.

M&B have a huge range of brands - http://www.mbplc.com/ourbrands/

Sizzling Pubs
    Vintage Inns
    Harvester
    Ember Inns
    Toby Carvery
    Crown Carveries
    Castle
    Nicholson's
    O'Neill's
    Alex
    All Bar One
    Miller & Carter
    Browns
    Innkeeper's Lodge
    Oak Tree
    Orchid Pubs
    Premium Country Pubs
    Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 February 2017 at 8:32PM
    Options
    We have a good Toby Carvery and I've been a very happy customer every time I've gone (in terms of food quality). I wouldn't expect 'haute cuisine' for £6.99 but its still delicious, never dried up and not watery like some places I've tried in the past. If anything was I'd ask for a replacement. One of the chefs did tell me that their carvery is one of the better ones, not all of them score so highly when reviewed/appraised. Its a nice treat for us and I always know we'll enjoy it. You get your food very quickly which is ideal for me (diabetic).

I have to be honest thought, I wouldn't go on a Sunday. I usually get some deal or other and always walk away wondering how they are making any money lol. My kids (who are both autistic and faddy eaters) adore the place.

We did go for Xmas dinner, which I did think was rather over priced (I'm mean, even though it was Xmas day and wage costs increase I still couldn't sit easy with nearly 10x what I normally pay for a meal). I've had worse Xmas meals but it still seemed over priced. For once I do have to say not all the starters were brilliant, and I couldn't really see where the extra money went, there wasn't much 'extra' about the meal. But I've had worse (particularly the last Xmas dinner I cooked myself for some reason it all went wrong after years of doing really nice ones, hence the reason for going to the Carvery lol). But its was £54 for an adult, so came to nearly £200 and I could almost buy a farm for that. I don't think we'll do it again.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Toby Carvery's nearest to me are all pretty good for the price.

I always get the free dessert voucher from the website when i go. This means that i pay £5.99 for a carvery and a Sundae (which is valid for up to 4 people). You would struggle to get as much food in any other restaurant for the same price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure