Universal Credits (Jsa) do you still go to the Jobcentre fortnightly to sign on?

Options
if you claim UC as a job seeker do you still go to the job centre every fortnight to ‘sign on’?

I’ve tried googling and looking on the direct gov site but it only mentions the initial interview, the claimant commitment and the work groups, it doesn’t say anything about how often you are required to attend the Jobcentre.

Thank you.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No. Your job search requirements and schedule of meetings will be determined by your work coach.

In theory this is one of the improvements introduced by Uc as signing on was simply a tick box exercise with no practical value. In theory this means work coaches can do more useful things to help support people back into work.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • inklove
    inklove Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the reply.

How often does the average person have to attend the job centre?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    inklove wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply.

How often does the average person have to attend the job centre?

That I can’t answer. Not sure anyone will be able to. Remember that with UC you have to manage the claim online so you have to show evidence of work search by putting it on your online journal which your work coach can monitor without seeing you face to face.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Catnip63
    Options
    Officially the government has decried all new claims must be seen weekly for the first 13 weeks- the reality is slightly different. Some work coaches may alternate with telephone or journal contact, most caseloads are too full to manage weekly interview
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure