Searching for Zero Standing Charge Energy

Options
If anyone can help me to refine my search accurately I'll be grateful. I search (using several different comparison sites) for Gas and Electricity with Zero Standing Charge because I am a low user. When I key in my present fixed tariff the comparisons always say that I am paying more than my present dual fuel £25 per month (and I am in credit with accurate readings by about £28 at present) (including VAT. Although I am searching for Zero Standing Charge tariffs the results always show the majority much (more expensive than my present one) and all with Daily Standing Charge.

I understand that sometimes it can be cheaper with a Standing Charge but I am struggling to gain acceptance of the kWhr rate (including VAT) I am paying at present.

If there is a way to search more accurately I'll be grateful to learn how to perform the search more accurately. I have tried a number of comparison sites but always have the same problems: none with Zero Standing Charges and all saying that I am paying more than my present monthly Direct Debit.

Thank you very much for any information.

Deleted_User

Comments

• 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried quotes directly through the companies? There are only a couple of companies that offer zero standing charge - I know ebico is one of them. If you know what kWh rate you are currently paying and have a full years readings, you could get a pretty accurate idea - zero standing charge tend to have a higher kWh cost, so while for us in summer it was cheaper, it averaged out at slightly more with our winter usage.

Hope that helps.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The present school of thought is that you should take both fuels from the same supplier - go back to the comparison sites - once for gas and second time for electric.

For zero S/c to benefit you your consumption needs to be very, very low. Should for any reason it rise (say you are at home all instead of at work) you can easily catch a cold.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • FelineFunk
    FelineFunk Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    As I posted yesterday in reply to a very similar thread...

The MSE Cheap Energy Club (as one example) allows you to filter your results to only show those tariffs that have no standing charge
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you. I must be doing something wrong as my readings are 'actual' for twelve full months and the correct tariff selected but it still says my kWhr rate is higher cost than I am paying. MSE Cheap Energy Club showed no Zero Standing Charge results.

I am in credit by £28 at present and pay D.D. £25 every month fixed to September 5th with Ebico/Robin Hood Energy. Comparisons suggest a much higher monthly D.D. and, say I am paying more per kWhr than I am.

How can I find another Zero standing charge supplier, please? Thank you for replying.

Crimson
  • 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    If you're only wanting to compare with your current supplier, and you know your actual usage and unit cost, then grab a pen and paper and get a quote from each individual company - it will give you a quote that is the direct debit amount they would put you on, but you should be able to click for more information on each quote to find out what the unit cost would be. You can then work out how much it would actually cost you. I would compare your highest usage month, because that's where zero standing charge can often work out more expensive.

https://ebico.org.uk/energy-plans/ zero green fixed V3 = no standing charge
    Two companies that have previously offered zero standing charge plans but I can't confirm if they still do:
    https://utilita.co.uk/help/our-tariffs
    https://solarplicity.com/energy-plans

And that's it, there's not a great choice.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2019 at 8:53AM
    Options
    8ofspades wrote: »
    If you're only wanting to compare with your current supplier, and you know your actual usage and unit cost, then grab a pen and paper and get a quote from each individual company - it will give you a quote that is the direct debit amount they would put you on, but you should be able to click for more information on each quote to find out what the unit cost would be. You can then work out how much it would actually cost you. I would compare your highest usage month, because that's where zero standing charge can often work out more expensive.

https://ebico.org.uk/energy-plans/ zero green fixed V3 = no standing charge
    Two companies that have previously offered zero standing charge plans but I can't confirm if they still do:
    https://utilita.co.uk/help/our-tariffs
    https://solarplicity.com/energy-plans

And that's it, there's not a great choice.

Thank you very much 8ofspades - your reply is really helpful. I know my actual useage for the past twelve consecutive months. I'll get my paperwork/bills out and do as you have suggested. I have another month or so before being allowed to switch away when my present fixed rate is about due to run out so I'll take time and search as you have explained. It makes sense, thank you.

Crimson
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I must be doing something wrong as my readings are 'actual' for twelve full months and the correct tariff selected but it still says my kWhr rate is higher cost than I am paying. MSE Cheap Energy Club showed no Zero Standing Charge results.

I am in credit by £28 at present and pay D.D. £25 every month fixed to September 5th with Ebico/Robin Hood Energy. Comparisons suggest a much higher monthly D.D. and, say I am paying more per kWhr than I am.

How can I find another Zero standing charge supplier, please? Thank you for replying.

Crimson
    Don't forget that your bills show the rate without VAT and then the VAT is added to the total, as that is the correct way to avoid rounding errors. Most comparison sites (and supplier websites) show the effective rate including VAT, as that is a more realistic indication of what the cost will be.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2019 at 8:54AM
    Options
    Thanks victor2. I'll check for VAT. 8ofspades advice will be good to follow as, although not sure, I may increase my central heating next winter and the advice will give me a good indication of what my bills might be.

I appreciate the helpful information and replies very much, thank you.

Crimson
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Comparison sites are great if you want to look at lots of "what if" scenarios. It doesn't matter if a particular comparison site doesn't know your current tariffs, just pick any random tariff but then ignore all the "you could save" figures and just look at the total costs.

Comparison sites don't appear to advise you whether separate suppliers or a dual fuel deal would be better, so grab a pen, run 3 comparisons (gas only, electricity only, dual fuel) and do the maths to see which would be better for you.
  • kapum
    kapum Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    FelineFunk wrote: »
    The MSE Cheap Energy Club (as one example) allows you to filter your results to only show those tariffs that have no standing charge

I wasn't aware of that, but have just looked, and you are absolutely right :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure