Severe disability premium eligibility

Options
Hi there, I'm just looking at my finances/benefits and wondered if the situation below would entitle my family to a severe disability premium? and if so what rate?

I have checked eligibility but I must be stupid because I'm having trouble understanding it because I claim CA for my daughter I'm not sure if that makes a difference to it plus would I be classed as claiming a qualifying benefit seeing as he's the one that claims the ESA??

If my husband claims IR ESA support group and I am on the claim too (so couples rate)
PIP daily living standard
PIP enhanced mobility

but I am claiming

DLA middle care for our daughter
Carers allowance for our daughter

Tia

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Your husband won't qualify for SDP as he doesn't live alone even though no one claims CA for him, your daughter not you gets middle rate dla, so depending on other circumstances he could claim CA for your daughter and you for him if that makes sense?
    But for your husband to claim CA for caring for your daughter it wouldn't have to go against his claim i.e if she needs physical help and he claims pip e.g having a bad back
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For someone to claim severe disability premium they must first be claiming income related ESA/JSA/Income support. They must also be claiming a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living/DLA mid/high rate care. No one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after them and they must live alone or be classed as living alone.

If you all live together and only one person claims the PIP daily living then the person claiming this won't be entitled to the SDP.
  • cornish_donkey
    Options
    Ok. I got confused as you can claim as a couple which is not living alone?
    See the segment below I copied off the Turn to us website.

If you are a couple:

You and your partner must be getting a qualifying benefit, and
    No one must be getting Carer's Allowance or Carers Element of Universal Credit for looking after you, and
    You must be living alone (have no non-dependents living with you, unless they are also receiving a qualifying disability benefit or are registered blind), or
    Someone gets Carer’s Allowance or Carers Element of Universal Credit for looking after just one of you and you satisfy the other conditions above. (then SDP is paid at a single rate).
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2019 at 9:00PM
    Options
    A couple can both get an SDP if they are both getting the relevant bits of PIP, DLA or AA and no-one gets CA for looking after them. In your situation where someone with PIP is living with a partner who does not get one of these benefits then the SDP cannot apply.

When applicable ESA is the benefit that has the SDP paid but ESA itself is not a qualifying benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cornish_donkey
    Options
    Ok Thanks for the info. I thought it might get paid at a single rate because of the circumstances.
  • RbMaCaulay
    Options
    Hi there,I’m new to this and wasn’t quite sure how to post a new thread so thought it best to comment under someone else’s question on the same subject.

I’m looking for help as I’m on ESA and PIP, I phoned up after learning about SDP and was told over the phone I could apply(a few simple questions) I was then told I would hear back from them to which I received a text message which said;
    Payment will be paid to your account for arrears of SDP after quality checks are completed, thanks.!
    What I would like to know is ,has anyone else received a text like this and if so how did it go?, and what do “quality checks” mean?.
    Just interested to know if know there is a limit of arrears?,as I started pip a year ago. Thanks
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    RbMaCaulay wrote: »
    Hi there,I’m new to this and wasn’t quite sure how to post a new thread so thought it best to comment under someone else’s question on the same subject.

I’m looking for help as I’m on ESA and PIP, I phoned up after learning about SDP and was told over the phone I could apply(a few simple questions) I was then told I would hear back from them to which I received a text message which said;
    Payment will be paid to your account for arrears of SDP after quality checks are completed, thanks.!
    What I would like to know is ,has anyone else received a text like this and if so how did it go?, and what do “quality checks” mean?.
    Just interested to know if know there is a limit of arrears?,as I started pip a year ago. Thanks

You've posted this identical question in two existing threads which isn't helpful. I have replied in the other thread you posted in.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RbMaCaulay wrote: »
    Hi there,I’m new to this and wasn’t quite sure how to post a new thread

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=139
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories