Monthly or Annual Interest

Options
I have been thinking about sticking a few bob in the Nationwide Summer Bond and was wondering whether I should request monthly or annual interest. The figures are as follows

Annual AER/Gross pa = 6.00%, Net pa = 4.80%
Monthly AER = 5.96%, Gross pa = 5.80%, Net pa = 4.64%

Which of these are the important numbers and is there any difference in how much they would return at the end of a year.

Thanks for any help
Ivan
Past caring about first world problems.

Comments

• BULLNOTBEAR
    BULLNOTBEAR Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    Do you need monthly interest? If not, then Annual interest pays you better interest as you can see.
    Val :)
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "Annual  AER/Gross pa = 6.00%, Net pa = 4.80%
    Monthly AER = 5.96%, Gross pa = 5.80%, Net pa = 4.64%

Which of these are the important numbers and is there any difference in how much they would return at the end of a year."

The important figures are the 'AER' [annual equivalent rate] ones. In theory they should be the same for whatever option, since they allow precisely for the effect of 'compound interest' where it is paid out during the year.

Nationwide tend to be a bit 'sharp' where monthly interest is concerned - you might expect a 'montly AER' about 0.2% less than the 'annual AER' [ ;D a new financial tautology - student100, add that to the list!]. However there is only 0.04% difference - so the monthly interest option works out virtually the same.

I like monthly interest also - but [for tax reasons] am currently opting for 'annual' - so that as much interest as I earn as possible is actually received next [tax year]
    :D
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • DiggingOut
    DiggingOut Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    The important figures are the 'AER' [annual equivalant rate] ones. In theory they should be the same for whatever option, since they allow precisely for the effect of 'compound interest' where it is paid out during the year.

Surely the important numbers are not listed -- the Net AER. Which will also be better with annual.
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    6.00% AER (gross). Take the 12th power of 1.06 therefore. 0.486755% per month gross. This is taxed at 20%, so the 're-invested' interest equals 0.389404%. This makes the 'net' AER (1.00389404)^12  - 1, or 4.77%. Grossing this up, the AER stands at 5.9678%.

However, there is a problem here:
    1) the stated gross rate is 6.00%
    2) the required net rate is exactly 4.80%, therefore
    3) if the 6.00% is paid (compound) over 12 months - as worked out above - and tax deducted at 20% the 'net' rate is no longer 80% of the 'gross' rate.

So I assume that it is just not possible [legally] to quote the 'net' AER unless the interest is paid annually - in which case the point of having an AER is irrelevant. It only permits comparison of 'gross' rates, in other words.

???
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family