Don't think much of credit ratings!

Options
6 months ago I went with the free credit checker Experian. Mine then was 860/1000 my wife's was 930/1000 after a few months of leaving it alone, since then I have applied for nothing. My wife applied for another bank account for transferring on the advice of MSE. Since then my credit rating went down from 860 to 664/1000 my wife's is roughly the same. Being a man who really cannot be bothered because of ill health, I just closed the account and thought "If they can't keep a good account of my details why should I care". Really I don't! But, I am pretty sure that credit agencies have a cross-eyed view of most peoples credit ratings.
My point is if they are susceptible to infiltration and downright !!!!-ups what is the point. Every time I have asked for credit since 1993 it's always been ridiculous amounts of interest. Somehow I've got by without it. But, still these agencies seem to make a mockery of what is in fact reality.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The credit ratings are fictional. They're just there for entertainment purposes, and for people who like collecting numbers.

Just focus on the data on your file. It's the only think lenders will see or care about. Not a magic number.

What errors have Experian made with your details? Raise a dispute if they have it wrong.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    P.Pea wrote: »
    Every time I have asked for credit since 1993 it's always been ridiculous amounts of interest. Somehow I've got by without it. But, still these agencies seem to make a mockery of what is in fact reality.

So your credit history is non-existent then?

It’s not really surprising that a lender, seeing someone with no credit history, decides they’re a higher risk and offers credit at a higher rate of interest.

Unfortunately it seems like your unwillingness to accept a higher rate of interest, at least initially, for nearly a quarter of a century is what’s to blame here, not the CRAs.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    So your credit history is non-existent then?

It’s not really surprising that a lender, seeing someone with no credit history, decides they’re a higher risk and offers credit at a higher rate of interest.

Unfortunately it seems like your unwillingness to accept a higher rate of interest, at least initially, for nearly a quarter of a century is what’s to blame here, not the CRAs.
    Or they have managed to find a way without relying on credit. People seem to say "Oh you must use credit" or "you need to build a credit history", just in the same way we get people on here asking how to improve their "score", because it's expected.

If credits not needed, don't get it. If someone can manage to do most things in life without credit, then good on them. I suppose because we see adverts for cheap credit out there people think its easy to get it. Before CRA's people were always assessed for risk when applying for credit and given rates in relation to that. The only difference now is the credit history information is centralised in the CRA's that make it easier foe creditors to make their assessment.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    Or they have managed to find a way without relying on credit. People seem to say "Oh you must use credit" or "you need to build a credit history", just in the same way we get people on here asking how to improve their "score", because it's expected.

If credits not needed, don't get it. If someone can manage to do most things in life without credit, then good on them. I suppose because we see adverts for cheap credit out there people think its easy to get it. Before CRA's people were always assessed for risk when applying for credit and given rates in relation to that. The only difference now is the credit history information is centralised in the CRA's that make it easier foe creditors to make their assessment.

I’m aware the OP has managed to do without credit, they said exactly that.

But he’s complaining about the wrong thing here. It’s not the fault of CRAs that lenders are offering him credit with high interest rates and it’s not the fault of the lenders if he’s just been declining any credit offered because it’s too expensive. A lender isn’t going to offer good rates to someone with no history, whether there’s a good reason for that or not.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 9:36PM
    Options
    6 months ago I went with the free credit checker Experian. Mine then was 860/1000 my wife's was 930/1000 after a few months of leaving it alone, since then I have applied for nothing. My wife applied for another bank account for transferring on the advice of MSE. Since then my credit rating went down from 860 to 664/1000 my wife's is roughly the same. Being a man who really cannot be bothered because of ill health, I just closed the account and thought "If they can't keep a good account of my details why should I care". Really I don't! But, I am pretty sure that credit agencies have a cross-eyed view of most peoples credit ratings.
    My point is if they are susceptible to infiltration and downright !!!!-ups what is the point. Every time I have asked for credit since 1993 it's always been ridiculous amounts of interest. Somehow I've got by without it. But, still these agencies seem to make a mockery of what is in fact reality.

OK, to try and reply to your comments. Firstly, the CRAs do provide a valuable service to lenders - they provide a history of your borrowing patterns. So, to a prospective lender, they're going to favour someone who shows a history of responsible borrowing, being able to afford to repay their debts, always paying their dues on time, not over-stretching themselves, not borrowing massive amounts in relation to their salary, not missing payments, not currently owing massive amounts to various lenders ... and a whole host of other things.

Now, the bone of contention is the "score". This is an arbitrary figure calculated by the CRAs, and in fact cannot be seen by lenders - they can only see the factual content of your history. Anecdotally, the "score" goes down in response to any change in credit status - you win the lottery and pay off your mortgage, your score will decrease. So, ignore your score. But your history is important. Make sure it's factually correct, and raise a dispute with the CRA is it's wrong.

Aside from that - when used wisely, credit is useful. There are not many folk who can buy a house without a mortgage. Many people take out a personal loan or some sort of finance for a car. A credit card gives you loads of protection when buying goods from Amazon, Joe Bloggs, Kneecap & Son Motor Traders, Monarch Airlines and suchlike. I stress again - used sensibly - a credit card can be a real boon.

So, don't knock the CRAs ( although, I do detest the adverts I've seen on TV recently that extol you to improve your non-existent "credit score" - time to contact the ASA perhaps ??? ). If you've no need for credit then fine. But if you want credit, and you want to get decent offers, then you do need to build up a solid credit history.
  • P.Pea
    P.Pea Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I find all your answers sheepish. Should have a better credit scoring as I have not burdened myself for years with unecessary credit. Just because a person lives within their means makes them a better bet in my eyes. They know how to handle money. Your comments are abusive and unthoughtful. You have no idea who or what I am or represent. You all assume to much, or are just trolls. Simple as that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You seem to have ignored the advice that your credit score is fictional. It seems you are just trolling.

Simple as that.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don’t think much of this thread.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I find all your answers sheepish. Should have a better credit scoring as I have not burdened myself for years with unecessary credit. Just because a person lives within their means makes them a better bet in my eyes. They know how to handle money. Your comments are abusive and unthoughtful. You have no idea who or what I am or represent. You all assume to much, or are just trolls. Simple as that.

I find your reply goatish - i.e. the four-legged mammal which fulfills the dietry requirements of mythical bridge-dwelling Scandinavian creatures.

You obviously fail to grasp the method by which credit-referencing operates, you also seem to have an aversion to receiving advice and information in relation to the questions you pose.

I suggest that if you dislike the answers given by knowledgeable people, you simply refrain from asking any further questions. I believe there are a number of search engines available on the internet which will provide definitive answers, should you require any further information.

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ....Just because a person lives within their means makes them a better bet in my eyes. They know how to handle money....

They may know how to handle money, but it is no indication of whether they can handle debt. 'Debt' is not the same as 'money' - the rules are very different for a start.

If someone who 'lives within their means' suddenly applies for credit what does that tell a lender? That the applicant has been tempted by a particularly attractive offer, or perhaps because they are having financial problems? Without a credit history the lender will have no idea.

The person who has lived within their means might be looking for credit because they recently became unemployed and won't be able to meet this month's mortgage payment... would you call them a 'better bet'?

A good clean credit history should be seen as an asset like any other. Something to be used sparingly, but maintained with care as it is the key to other opportunities and protections.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport