Blind installation failure to turn up

Options
I booked for blind installation requesting it to be done by 2pm.
company took the card details and planned to charge once work done.
told would be sent an email confirming the booking.
company didnt turn up by 3.30 so ccalled company to cancel the booking.
Was told that there woild be 50 pound cancellation fee so I hung up.
Company called at 4.30 and told that they were on their way but if required could cancel and pay 50 pound cancellation fee.
I waited until 7 and then left for a meal.
received a call from the company at 7.30 and told they were at the door. The guy leaves home as no one to answer.
next day company calls to say they would deduct 105 pounds.
I told them to go away and not call me again.
following day company emails to say they will deduct the money and they did.
i call up the company , no one answers.
Called up natwest and after iinvestigattion reverses the payment
Company now pursuing money through small claims

There was no work carried out and on the phone and in the email the time given was 2pm

I have defence to prepare and I request some help
Many thanks

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    You've already got a thread running on this where you've had help (not the help you want though obviously as you just want someone to do it for you).

Stop spamming the forums.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How was the contract formed? (Online? Facebook? Over the phone? Home visit? Other?)

What contract terms were you presented with? (in writing)

Were they supplying and fitting? Or fitting only?
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    bigisi wrote: »
    You've already got a thread running on this where you've had help (not the help you want though obviously as you just want someone to do it for you).

I advised the OP to post here, they haven't had a proper answer over on the Home and DIY board and this board is more suitable for their problem.

I know threads can be moved but there was a lot of info in the other OP that wasn't relevant to the problem.
  • DoaM
    Options
    bigisi wrote: »

Didn't realise there was another thread. Ironically this is the correct place for the thread, not DIY.
  • DoaM
    Options
    To answer the original, inferred question ... nobody is going to write your defence for you.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    How was the contract formed? (Online? Facebook? Over the phone? Home visit? Other?)

Over the phone

What contract terms were you presented with? (in writing)

No info on that

Were they supplying and fitting? Or fitting only?

Fitting only

Question really is does the OP have a right to cancel free of charge.

My understanding is that a service can't be cancelled once it has begun.

Obviously the fitting service didn't begin but equally the appointment was booked in at a time for the OP. That said the company didn't make it on time.

If OP should have been given certain information via durable means and wasn't or a right to cancel such a service without penalty exists they may have a defence against the claim.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Anur wrote: »
    I booked for blind installation requesting it to be done by 2pm.
    company took the card details and planned to charge once work done.
    told would be sent an email confirming the booking.
    company didnt turn up by 3.30 so ccalled company to cancel the booking.
    Was told that there woild be 50 pound cancellation fee so I hung up.
    Company called at 4.30 and told that they were on their way but if required could cancel and pay 50 pound cancellation fee.
    I waited until 7 and then left for a meal.
    received a call from the company at 7.30 and told they were at the door. The guy leaves home as no one to answer.
    next day company calls to say they would deduct 105 pounds.
    I told them to go away and not call me again.
    following day company emails to say they will deduct the money and they did.
    i call up the company , no one answers.
    Called up natwest and after iinvestigattion reverses the payment
    Company now pursuing money through small claims

There was no work carried out and on the phone and in the email the time given was 2pm

I have defence to prepare and I request some help
    Many thanks
    On the other thread I carefully summarised OP's original wall of text - my summary is what she's simply pasted above - and also asked some questions to get more information but I was accused of being unhelpful! :)

Anur, you must be getting the message by now that people aren't going to do this for you. People are asking pertinent questions so they can help you. This time, don't throw your toys out of the pram, try and answer them and you'll probably get the help you need to construct your defence. :beer:
  • Anur
    Anur Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    the_lunatic, to answer your second point
    An email was sent to confirm the booking.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You might have a reasonable chance of defending yourself in the small claim, as it was them who initially broke the terms of your agreement by not keeping the agreed appointment time. They further broke any "reasonable allowance" for running late. (Calling at 4:30pm to say they were on the way for a 2pm appointment and them apparently not turning up until 7:30pm is not reasonable.)

If I were in an uncharitable mood (and it just happens that I am) I could go further and say it sounds like they are running a deliberate scam where they mess about the customer so much the customer ends up phoning to cancel their services whereby they can start slapping on the "cancellation charges" willy nilly and hey presto they've earned £150 for doing precisely one fifth of naff all work.

Have your day in court, just make sure your story is a straight as your tie and see what happens. You may even just win by default by them being a no-show - going by their track record they will probably turn up just after they lock the doors at the end of the day.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure