Do you buy second hand games/consoles?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    i buy the odd older game from zoverstocks or carboot sales nothing over a fiver though
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sqwgglz wrote: »
    There are mitigating factors to consider here, of course. Firstly, a pre-owned sale does not automatically equate to a lost sale. A consumer willing to pay, say, £10 for a second-hand game may never have been prepared to spend £40 on the new version.
    That's one thing I never understand with these comparisons. They always seem to compare the cost of a game second-hand about three years after release with the cost of a new game on release day?

I swept through the 360 catalogue through 2010-2013, buying about 40 games, mostly exclusives. Including international delivery, the average price per game was £8.xx (yes, I spreadsheeted), because I used (abused?) sales, cashback, and voucher codes. Three games (Sacred 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and AC: Brotherhood) were second-hand (and Sacred 2 was a lot more than £8!). There were a few newly-released games in there, too - I bought RDR and Halo: Reach in their first month of release. But the average price was still under £9 per new game, delivered.

(Or to put it another way, about three times the average price of PC games ;))

Can't afford to buy new console games? Don't buy them on day one! Just today, for example, Nintendo Land is £7.50 from Asda. There are deals like this every week, if not every day, for new games. In fact, normal prices for second-hand games are far, far higher than discounted prices for new games. There are plenty of ridiculously-cheap new games for anyone who is prepared to wait for a sale.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • s1ipmatt
    s1ipmatt Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've bought many second hand games. Only had one duff one from GAME on the PS3, the disc looked like someone had used it as a substitute for sand paper. Very surprised GAME had taken it in and guess what it didn't work. Problem was GAME put them seals on their second hand games cases, so they could have argued that id caused the damage. And as I only paid a couple of quid for it, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle so I just brought another copy from GAMES website and it was perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure