PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: OFT wants crackdown on surprise letting charges

Options

Comments

• bribri_2
    bribri_2 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My cousin has been asked this year by the agents to pay £90 to renew the contract. This is after renewing the contract every year for 3 years without any request for money.

As the contract is with the landlord, he's sees no reason to pay.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What I need is an independent third party in case of dispute.

It is possible to find decent tenants yourself, because the internet is pretty mature now. The commission level is ridiculous for what they do, especially in subsequent years.
  • newsgroup_monkey
    Options
    well that's exactly it Pincher. Some agencies charge as much as £550 just to "introduce" a tenant and do credit checks, contracts etc. That's probably about £450 more than it costs them.

My old LA had the tenacity to make everything +VAT which is in fact against the Government rules of VAT.

They charge £100 to print out contracts every 6 months too (which are identical to the contract I've just paid £25 from my new LA). They also refuse to allow SPT.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well that's exactly it Pincher. Some agencies charge as much as £550 just to "introduce" a tenant and do credit checks, contracts etc. That's probably about £450 more than it costs them..

I got an unsigned letter from an unheard of Bank in some unknown town in Israel, confirming the prospective tenant has an account with them. The letting agent gave me a form to sign, saying that I am "satisfied" with the reference, absolving their responsibility.

Why don't they just get the tenant to sneeze into a tissue, and call that a reference. :eek:
  • tim123456789
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    What I need is an independent third party in case of dispute.

It is possible to find decent tenants yourself, because the internet is pretty mature now. The commission level is ridiculous for what they do, especially in subsequent years.

But it's not just what they do, it what that have to spend to put themselves in a position to do it.

High street rents/rates are not cheap and this has to be paid for.

My agent has tried to save money by moving to an out of the way location, and guees what - he gets significantly less clients because no-one walks past!

tim
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,175 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems toothless.

So many regulations now days work on the promise that once fees are laid out all upfront everything is ok.

The best way to deal with the problem is remove letting agents from the picture, have landords deal with tenants directly.
  • newsgroup_monkey
    Options
    But it's not just what they do, it what that have to spend to put themselves in a position to do it.

High street rents/rates are not cheap and this has to be paid for.

My agent has tried to save money by moving to an out of the way location, and guees what - he gets significantly less clients because no-one walks past!

tim

All the new EAs and LAs round my way are out of town. Most people use Right Move for searches so it's hardly worth the premium.

One of the EAs in our area is doing very well despite only having a smart car and a home office. His only marketing is done on Right Move, Zoopla and the local rag. He's been doing it this way for at least 12 years.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Seems toothless.

So many regulations now days work on the promise that once fees are laid out all upfront everything is ok.

The best way to deal with the problem is remove letting agents from the picture, have landords deal with tenants directly.

....and what happens when the tenant badgers the LL with trivial complaints?

Broadly speaking though, this is looooonnngggg overdue. I would also go so far as to make it mandory that LAs have to explain the complaints proceedure (I had no idea about the DPS dispute process until I came on this forum and was bilked for £600 of unnecessary 'deductions'). Most people dont even know this deposit schema exists and the LAs stay awfully quiet about it. As some on here know, I was actively threatened by my last LA when I stood up for myself and said I would dispute their ridiculous deductions. This sort of criminal behaviour should be stamped on, thoroughly and there should be some sort of oversight service to regulate LA behaviour in these types of cases.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,175 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    ....and what happens when the tenant badgers the LL with trivial complaints?

Then dont be a landlord, it shouldnt be the case you rent out the property and have no obligation to deal with issues.

Also what may seem trivial to the landlord may not be for the tenant.

My landlord runs his own agency, its a letting agency with a difference. There is no credit checks, and no fees. He has staff and an office, so he somehow keeps it going without fees. I remember the day I walked in to sign my first tenancy agreement with him, he had just setup the office and had no staff, had to wait for him to turn up in his sports car from the golf course to give me the keys :).

Now of course he has progressed and doesnt use any 3rd party letting agents. I have his mobile number even tho he has staff but not sure if new tenants get the number, but with that aside he has found a way round all the red tape attacked to LA's.

For a start in his own words, credit checks are pointless, the tenant isnt even getting credit (they pay up front) and its just a little earner for LA's so they can charge for it.
  • tim123456789
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Seems toothless.

Much though I dislike LAs with so many scams around nowadays, I think that they are a necessary evil unless we have a register of LLs so that you can be sure who you are giving your up-front money to

tim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport