Asian Supermarket on the Ormeau Rd

Options

Comments

• Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, but 50% is used wiping up Boys mess.
  • Wee_Bargain_Hunter
    Options
    The Lisburn Road shop is probably easiest reached from Stockman's Lane especially as it will then be on the correct side of the road for you but either route is ok.

There's another Chinese supermarket too - it's on the Donegal Pass, on the right if you are travelling from the Ormeau Road end. Not sure how/if the prices vary but it's very modern with wide aisles etc. I've been there in the evening after work & at weekends & have got a parking space easily in front of the shop in their lay-by. From its size and layout I don't think they would have as much stock as the other two but it might be the best to try for a first visit as to me it doesn't seem as intimidating. It's handy for a cup of coffee afterwards on Botanic Avenue or a picnic in Botanic Gardens if the rain ever stops! Loads of coffee shops on the Lisburn Road too. Think you'd have to drive about 3-5 mins (out of town) to be handy to any eating places on the Ormeau Road if you've got youngsters with you.

I started a thread about shopping in Chinese supermarkets a while ago that you may find helpful: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=735021.

Also some people find the tubs they sell useful for freezing soups etc -Haven't tried them yet myself. However I do buy the large cartons of vinegar (for fabric conditioner) and bi-carb (for cleaning). Can also recommend huge jars of sweet chili sauce - do compare the labels though if you are trying to avoid chemicals as some have lots!
    Might call in after work today - you've reminded me about loads of stuff I need to buy & might look into getting bentos boxes as well!

Enjoy your day out. WBH
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can only talk about the chinese supermarket on the Ormeau. if you bring kids + hubby there is a pretty good playpark just around the corner off the ormeau embankment (beside the Queen's PEC, anyone will direct you) and you could drop them there and do the shopping in peace :) there's also a coffee shop in the PEC itself if you need loos etc, you can just ask to be let on through, they'll never question it.

For the supermarket itself, I find they're cheap for veg like peppers and aubergines (and the quality is always better too!). Also if you are trying to do OS cleaning you get a big 5 litre drum of white vinegar for about £2.50 and also a kilo (I think) bag of bicarb for the same price. I think the rice is good value but DH refuses to eat it so I'm going on rumour there :)

Good luck.
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you say Ormeau Road, I assume you mean the one near the Ormeau Bridge on the Lower Ormeau Road? There's a big difference between this one and the one in Donegall Pass. The Ormeau Road one can be a bit frenetic, especially if you stray into the warehouse part of the store. The Donegall Pass one is laid out more like a conventional supermarket, but if I remember correctly I thought it was a little dearer.

Either way, some of their stuff is top class, some is strange, especially in the depths of their freezers. Enjoy the experience though, I think they're both great places to shop occasionally.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • TELREA
    TELREA Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    The supermarket on the Donegal Pass is called Lee Foods(i deliver fresh pork to them:)not sure about prices but parking is ok..and the Asia supermarket is further up the ormeau Rd on the right,used to visit this place daily..parking can be a nightmare here always busy as well.
  • mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all!!!

Belfastgirl, I am familiar with ormeau park, tennants vital;).
    Also because DH was an inpatient in Forster Green for 11 months when it had the brain injury unit, and I used to put him in the car with the 4 wee ones and take them to the play park! But it was only if someone was with me that i was able to go any farther! (I dont like driving places where im not 100% sure of the road)
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    Pretani wrote: »
    I would think the m1 then turn off onto stockmans lane (to kings hall) and left onto the lisburn rd would be your best route;) but then i don't know south belfast area too well.

Yep, def best reached from the Balmoral side as that way you don't have to try and cut across the busy Lisburn Road. Also, it's easier to see the place coming that way!
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Asia supermarket on Agincourt Avenue is cheaper for most things than Lee foods on Donegal Pass. I haven't been to Camseng yet, so I can't comment on it! *you had to remind me about it didn't you :rolleyes:*
    As someone else mentioned, check the dates carefully, it's not the first time I've lifted stuff without thinking, then realised it's out of date when I get home to Ballymena! Grrr!

Happymummy, I found more stuff you'll like for bento boxes in Asia supermarket and very yummy too :D

Image013.jpg

teeny weeny fruity yoghurt jelly desserts. OMG they are soooo good! :D:D

S'cuse all my mess in the background btw!
  • happymummy24-7
    happymummy24-7 Posts: 664 Forumite
    Options
    ohhhh AB they look perfect!!!!

now stay with me here.........
    playpark off ormeau embankment...coffee shop at Queens PEC,toilets AND bulk buying cheap yummies at the Asian supermarket..................i smell an NI MSE meet :rotfl::beer:
    it takes more energy
    to hate than to love...
    love and relax!

• Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options

now stay with me here.........
    playpark off ormeau embankment...coffee shop at Queens PEC,toilets AND bulk buying cheap yummies at the Asian supermarket..................i smell an NI MSE meet :rotfl::beer:

....and the salon around the corner does a great purple wrinse:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport