copies of probate an will

Options
I swore the oath a couple of weeks ago and sent it back to the probate office about 10 days ago

In the post today I received a envelope wrapped in plastic by Royal Mail as they had opened it to check on the address - seems there was no address on the envelope! I am grateful that they did open it as in there was the grant of probate, 6 certified copies of the grant, one stamped copy of the will and the death cert I sent in.

Royal Mail said to let them know if anything is missing. What I wondered was whether I was supposed to have had more certified / stamped copies of the will i.e. one per copy of the probate - or if they just send the one - does anyone know?

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I dont think it's expected to get back multiple copies of the will, on the grounds that if it was they would change so much per copy as they do for probate copies.

Will you be making a complaint to the probate office ? Someone has seriously screwed up there.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Reckon you are right re them charging for the will copies - presume any organisations don't need to see the will, just the probate ?

Looks like someone had a bad day at the probate office - I am just relieved that RM decided to open the envelope and copy my name and address from the grant!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    Options
    They send one stamped copy of the grant and Will, and additional copies of the grant only if paid for. No additional copies of the Will.

I'm not sure I got a death certificate back though.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Flugelhorn
    Options
    They send one stamped copy of the grant and Will, and additional copies of the grant only if paid for. No additional copies of the Will.

I'm not sure I got a death certificate back though.

I was surprised to get the death certificate back.

Looks like have got everything else back that I should have
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    Options
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    Reckon you are right re them charging for the will copies - presume any organisations don't need to see the will, just the probate ?
    !

Exactly it's your job as executor to carry out the instructions in the will, not for anyone else to double guess what you'll do with the money.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    Options
    We got the grant with stamped copy of will, stapled to it (like a book), 4 grant copies we'd paid for & death cert.

We're all done & dusted apart from completing house sale, only Santander wanted sight of the grant (a measly £1 outstanding on mortgage to utilise their 'deed store' facility). Lesson learnt there as its been an added unecessary irritation given that the property was registered.

No-one has requested sight of the will, not even for the insurance or pension payouts, surprised me a bit for those but I wouldn't expect to show it to anyone else.

Thank goodness the postal service got your documents to you.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    Looks like someone had a bad day at the probate office - I am just relieved that RM decided to open the envelope and copy my name and address from the grant!
    Even if you don't want to make a formal complaint, I would let them know. It's possible someone just had a bad day, but someone really ought to be giving a final check to post going out - whoever is franking can just flick through and check all addresses are legible!

A thought: maybe they usually use window envelopes and they'd run out, and someone just forgot to write the name and address ...

Anyway, as you say, thank goodness RM checked - and presumably it didn't hold things up for too long? It can take a while for 'lost' or damaged post to find its way to where it should be.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Flugelhorn
    edited 12 April 2018 at 7:42AM
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Even if you don't want to make a formal complaint, I would let them know. It's possible someone just had a bad day, but someone really ought to be giving a final check to post going out - whoever is franking can just flick through and check all addresses are legible!

A thought: maybe they usually use window envelopes and they'd run out, and someone just forgot to write the name and address ...

Anyway, as you say, thank goodness RM checked - and presumably it didn't hold things up for too long? It can take a while for 'lost' or damaged post to find its way to where it should be.

I might just let them know - for all I know I might not be the only one and chaos may be reigning. It was a window envelope but there was nothing in the envelope that showed my address to show through it, the address was only on the grants but they were folded inwards and address it is written in one long line .. no good for window.

RM did well - the date on the grant is 6th April, I got them on 11th and there was a weekend in between.

I find these things bizarre - I hand delivered stuff to them and then sent the oath back by tracked / signed for post and then they send it back in an unaddressed envelope :rotfl:
  • nom_de_plume
    Options
    Before posting off a Will some years back I obtained a couple of certified copies just in case of issues with post. As in the vast majority of cases, nothing went missing but it was worth it for the peace of mind. I considered it a cheap insurance policy.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    Options
    Before posting off a Will some years back I obtained a couple of certified copies just in case of issues with post. As in the vast majority of cases, nothing went missing but it was worth it for the peace of mind. I considered it a cheap insurance policy.

Now that's a good idea. Perhaps when initially having a will drawn up it should be a service the solicitor offers, the original PLUS a certified copy.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure