car hire in granada

Options
Hi - I am visiting Family in Granada and will need to hire a car for 5 days.
I want to rent under the lowest excess deal i can , I m am not worried about my own driving however any damage under any under circumstance to the car concerns me , I have seen offers with excess in the region of £750 !

I have never before hired a car , can anyone give me any recommendations of reputable companies and what to look for

Comments

• LUHG1878
    LUHG1878 Posts: 108 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 11:19AM
    Options
    We always use Centauro when we travel to Malaga, but I don't think they operate out of Granada airport.

When booking car hire, we opt for a full-full fuel rate, it just means we get the car fully fuelled and we return fully fuelled, so we only pay for what we use.

We never take out the damage waivers with the hire company, buy a policy in UK that will cover your trip. Generally the hire company will pre-authorise around EURO 1200 against your credit card for any damage, you'll only charged if there is damage, and you would then claim this back against your UK policy.

Buying a policy in the UK will cost around £20 for a single trip, and £35 for annual cover.

Inspect the car carefully before driving away, take pictures of any damage and make sure it's noted on your paperwork.

Similarly on return, make sure they check the car whilst you are there, and get a copy of the paperwork where they agree there has been no damage.
  • LUHG1878
    Options
    Have a read of this article on MSE: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire

We use Moneymaxim to buy the CDW insurance

Also, I don't agree that booking car hire early gets you the best deal, >13 weeks before departure the hire pricing can be extortionate, I booked at 10 weeks before we fly at a rate of £11 per day for Nissan Juke sized vehicle, it's since come down to £6 a day, and that's 3 weeks before we fly. Fortunately I was able to cancel for free, and then I re-booked at the lower rate, saved £45 on a 9-day rental :money:
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wouldn't a Car Hire subform be a wonderful addition to MSE..?
  • efes_shareholder
    Options
    Thank you this is really really helpful
    So basically select my car and then purchase a policy here - Where would i get such a thing from ?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you this is really really helpful
    So basically select my car and then purchase a policy here - Where would i get such a thing from ?

See point 5 in the guide linked to in post #3.
  • LUHG1878
    Options
    Try here first for the insurance: https://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/

It's listed in the MSE article link from earlier post, we've used it several times, no complaints.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure