Selling up and moving to a site with no phone line - do I have to pay to end bbd contract early?

I'm trying to buy a building plot. When I do I'll need to sell up and live in a caravan while we build. So we likely won't even have services at first.
What happens if I'm 6 months onto a 12 month broadband contract? Will they charge to leave early even though I can't take them with me?
What happens if its a business broadband line and I stop running my business? Again do I have to pay to break the contract?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes if you take out a contract for xxx months thats what you owe.
    Likewise for business , but that will depend upon your contract .

A contract is at your address not any address .
    Not an ISPs fault you move.

Consider other means of internet access .
    Or more expensive 30 day contracts .
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Even if a caravan, I see no reason why could could not request a landline & BB service for the new location. By doing so you won’t get hit with a termination fee (but will restart a new commitment).

Make sure the routing fits in with your construction plans to minimise costs following completion.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Plan in advance - since you know you are planning this, when your minimum term ends on your current contract you will typically roll over onto one month notice, albeit at a slightly increased price, so just let this happen You will therefore not be hit with early termination charges when you move out. Your contract does not stop after 12 months. 12 months is the minimum term.

If you go chasing a "deal" with a longmonth minimum term a few months before you move, then it will be your own fault when you get hit with a big early termination charge ...
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure