Which is the best private healthcare?

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think if you have certain expectations of the NHS (whether they are realistic expectations or not) and they are not meeting your expectations, you have no alternative but to pay for the care you feel you need (or want) if you can afford to - always assuming that the care you want/expect actually exists anyway.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    How ridiculous are you needing to see a doctor with a cold bad or not!
    It's people like you that jam up appointments for those that actually need them.

The rudeness of some people is quite surprising. My neighbour recently had a bad chest infection and had to go into hospital for a few days. A year ago I had a severe throat infection (it was painful to swallow and I couldn’t sleep for a week). My voice became incredibly deep and after five weeks of coughing I saw my GP and had blood tests. It seemed like glandular fever but the blood test said not.

I banged my finger last year, after six weeks it was still sore, so I saw my GP, and she said immediately that it was broken. I was told to go to the local hospital at my convenience and get an x-ray, I think I went later that day, and waited 15 minutes. The radiographer said I’d done a good job of destroying the joint. The finger was splinted for a month, but it still has a slight crook. Some of us don’t go often enough to the doctor, and recently when I saw dots in my left eye, I’d learnt my lesson before, so I did go to A&E, and I was examined to check for a detached retina. Fortunately it was okay. But some people with my issue, posterior vitreous detachment, do not see a doctor, and consequently lose their eyesight.

Whether or not someone needs to see a doctor varies, depending on underlying health, age, and the symptoms. When I was at A&E recently, there was a young man in a dreadful state, badly dressed, dirty, bruised face. I think he was a drug user. Very sad.

My experience is that the NHS is usually excellent but overused due to lack of funds. But it varies hugely. The hospital in Torquay where my mum died was in a dreadful state, the dirtiest toilets I’ve ever seen, dirty wards, very busy, but it served an aged population and struggled to cope.
  • ste_coxy
    ste_coxy Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think they were being intentionally rude - if you read the OP's comments they range from insulting to people living outside of London to unncessarily selfish/self involved. I'm inclinded to agree with _shel that people shouldn't be using an A&E dept (clue is in the title here..) for minor things such as colds - they should only ever be used for emergencies - more and more people are using it as a way of jumping the queue to their GP as they are not prepared to wait. People these days are very "I want now.. me, me, me".

This is not to say waiting times for GP appointments are ridiculous.. because they are but this is to do with higher demand of health services and supply of capital has not been forthcoming to keep up! Whilst the Tory's are in power though this will not be resolved anytime soon.

Their expectations of the healthcare system need to be reigned in somewhat I feel. NHS does a brilliant job all things considered.

I would happily pay a further 2.5p in the pound if it went towards the NHS! Tory's don't have the backbone to raise taxes to their bread and butter supporters though.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    ste_coxy wrote: »
    I don't think they were being intentionally rude - if you read the OP's comments they range from insulting to people living outside of London to unncessarily selfish/self involved. I'm inclinded to agree with _shel that people shouldn't be using an A&E dept (clue is in the title here..) for minor things such as colds - they should only ever be used for emergencies - more and more people are using it as a way of jumping the queue to their GP as they are not prepared to wait. People these days are very "I want now.. me, me, me".

This is not to say waiting times for GP appointments are ridiculous.. because they are but this is to do with higher demand of health services and supply of capital has not been forthcoming to keep up! Whilst the Tory's are in power though this will not be resolved anytime soon.

Their expectations of the healthcare system need to be reigned in somewhat I feel. NHS does a brilliant job all things considered.

I would happily pay a further 2.5p in the pound if it went towards the NHS! Tory's don't have the backbone to raise taxes to their bread and butter supporters though.

+1 to this ^^^^>

@ BananaRepublic
    Just curious - do you think the OP's expectations of the NHS expressed in post #4 are reasonable?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    +2 thanks very much for explaining ❤️
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    +1 to this ^^^^>

@ BananaRepublic
    Just curious - do you think the OP's expectations of the NHS expressed in post #4 are reasonable?

My late mother’s experiences were awful. When she lost her the use of her legs, she was on a stretcher in a corridor for many many hours. When she was dying, and she said her bowel had burst, the consultant said nonsense, she’d be in far worse pain. She was on oral morphine. But when I first saw her, I’d never seen someone in such pain, and mum was not a complainer. Arguing with a consultant surrounded by adoring junior doctors was scary. Most people would not have the confidence to do that. I didn’t. When she went in for major surgery, they discovered a burst bowel, and she died of septecaemia. I still think the NHS is brilliant, but it is underfunded, and mum’s hospital was dirty and some staff were grossly rude. I do think the consultant did his best in the circumstances, but had mum been royalty, you can bet she’d be alive and well today. Because they would have taken more time.

Asking if you need to wait six hours is not being rude or unreasonable. Sadly that is how the NHS is. I still think some people here are too ready to put others down. But hey, this is the last internet, being rude is the norm isn’t it?
  • Pollycat
    Options
    My late mother’s experiences were awful. When she lost her the use of her legs, she was on a stretcher in a corridor for many many hours. When she was dying, and she said her bowel had burst, the consultant said nonsense, she’d be in far worse pain. She was on oral morphine. But when I first saw her, I’d never seen someone in such pain, and mum was not a complainer. Arguing with a consultant surrounded by adoring junior doctors was scary. Most people would not have the confidence to do that. I didn’t. When she went in for major surgery, they discovered a burst bowel, and she died of septecaemia. I still think the NHS is brilliant, but it is underfunded, and mum’s hospital was dirty and some staff were grossly rude. I do think the consultant did his best in the circumstances, but had mum been royalty, you can bet she’d be alive and well today. Because they would have taken more time.

Asking if you need to wait six hours is not being rude or unreasonable. Sadly that is how the NHS is. I still think some people here are too ready to put others down. But hey, this is the last internet, being rude is the norm isn’t it?

You've written quite a lot but still not managed to answer my question...
    Never mind.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You've written quite a lot but still not managed to answer my question...
    Never mind.

I answered your question. I don’t think a six hour wait is reasonable. Now you can get back to kicking the OP with the others.
  • happyandcontented
    Options

I had a similar experience with both my parents. It is something that stays with you and has coloured my view of the NHS. All of us can only speak from our personal experiences and although the NHS does try hard, it is underfunded and bureaucratically cumbersome, often to the detriment of patient care.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    I answered your question. I don’t think a six hour wait is reasonable. Now you can get back to kicking the OP with the others.
    No.
    I asked the question:
    You replied:
    Asking if you need to wait six hours is not being rude or unreasonable.

To me, that means you didn't think it was unreasonable for the OP to ask the question.
    Not the same as you saying the OP's expectations were unreasonable.

But
    Never mind.
    It's not that important.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business