Redundancy and redeployment

All,

I was made redundant around two weeks ago. At the time of the redundancy I was aware that there was a position being recruited for in my department as as a team member, I had even written the job description for the position, so I suggested redeployment in my meeting. The company emailed me two days later to say that redeployment would not be an option as they had put all recruitment on hold per cut backs. I was the only person being made redundant from the company. I now have found out that they are now actively recruiting for the role that they said they had put on hold. Do I have an argument with them here?

Any advice/help my appreciated.

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Realistically no. It's quite possible that at the time they made you redundant recruitment was on hold due to cutbacks but the very next day they had a big order come in and suddenly needed more staff.

You may have an argument if your redundancy was itself unfair.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The law allows employers to be stupid. Some employers raise being stupid to a fine art. Try not to work for one of these employers.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It sounds like they may have made your position redundant just to personally get rid of you.

This would be unlawful, and you would be able to take this to an employment tribunal, if a) it was actually the case and b) you could muster up some evidence it was the case.

b) is usually the tricky part. Any good evidence of there being a manager who didn't like you etc?
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2019 at 9:26AM
    If more than 2 years service I think it's likely to be an unfair dismissal, assuming you could do that job. You should get on to ACAS imho.

When you say 'team' member were there other people doing the same job as you? Were they consulted with and put at risk the same as you? I.e. were you selected from a pool?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Masomnia wrote: »
    If more than 2 years service I think it's likely to be an unfair dismissal, assuming you could do that job. You should get on to ACAS imho.

When you say 'team' member were there other people doing the same job as you? Were they consulted with and put at risk the same as you? I.e. were you selected from a pool?

No pool or anything. I was the only one who went which leads me to think they just wanted rid of and is a sham redundancy. I was looking for a new member of staff to do a customer service job so they say all of a sudden that they are not recruiting for that role and then less than 2 weeks later they say they are. I have now given it to a legal team to look at.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    A pool of one can be fair if there is no one else doing that role and that role is the one that has to go. Not always the case though, redundancies are rarely straightforward. They should find you suitable alternative employment where possible.

Let us know how you get on anyway.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure