Northern Rock PPI

Options
Hi all,

I hope someone might be able to help.

With all the publicity surrounding the end of PPI claims, I thought I'd better just check my own records - I'd been meaning to do it for a while but never quite got round to it til now.

I made a claim against Santander for an A&L loan - claim upheld no problem.

I have then made a claim against NRAM for a Northern Rock mortgage - claim not upheld.

A bit of background:

I took out a 108% mortgage (them were the days!) with Northern Rock in 2004 via an adviser (the adviser no longer being in business).

At the time I was working in Local Government in a permanent job with the then generous sick pay and redundancy allowances etc - and I stayed there for another 10 years, I had no dependants and my health insurance would have covered the full cost of the mortgage; so looking back there wasn't really going to be a circumstance that I would actually have needed the PPI.

I had told the adviser that I worked in Local Government, but was told that the mortgage came with PPI and I had to have it.

Being a bit of a wet behind the ears 26 year old getting my first mortgage, I'd put a bit of trust in the adviser (yep I know now that that was my biggest mistake) and accepted what they were telling me to be true. So I took the mortgage with the PPI.

A year later, I contacted Northern Rock and cancelled the PPI as I'd realised by then that I didn't really need it. I wrote it off as being one of those things and got on with it.

3 years later, and being a bit more savvy having found this website, I ported over to ING on my own. A couple of years later not thinking I'd ever need them again I shredded all of my Northern Rock paperwork with the exception of my statements which I kept.

Fast forward to last month, where I finally made a claim via the NRAM website for mis-selling. I wasn't asked to provide any evidence nor attach documents to the claim just basic details keyed into a webpage.

Despite the fact that I only gave them my mortgage number (taken from the statement) they also referred to another number, presumably for the unsecured loan element of the 108%, so they had obviously found me on their system.

They told me that they contacted the Insurer, Cardif Pinnacle, who after a 'thorough search' were unable to find a policy in my name. They invited me to provide evidence with evidence being given as 'a reference number or proof of payment of premiums' and if I could they would look again at my complaint.

I duly sent back copies of my statement for 2004 and 2005 which showed 'Insurance Premium' being shown as a £34.09 underneath charges against my secured loan.

Despite providing this, I have today received a letter from NRAM telling me that 'the documentation provided does not prove that you have a policy, therefore it is advised that you contact Cardif Pinnacle directly in order to provide the necessary documentation'.

Again they have said that should I be able to provide further information 'such as a reference number or proof of payment of premiums' then they would look into it.

Given that I only have the statements left, I can't really provide them with anymore information other than what I have provided through NRAM.

The letters they have sent have the same paragraph in almost to the letter - in fact the only difference is the second letter refers to it as PPI and not MPPI; which makes me wonder if they're just trying to fob me off.

My question now, is what do I do now?

NRAM don't want to know, Cardif Pinnacle (through NRAM) don't have any record of me, the adviser is no longer in business and the only record I have of paying PPI is a scanned pdf of the statement from 2004.

Is this something that I can or should be referring to the Ombudsman, or do I just accept that there's no point chasing and just be grateful I only paid a year PPI?

Any responses gratefully received.

Cheers

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've potentially spent a lot time barking up the wrong tree here.

The issue is miss-selling. Cardiff Pinnacle and NRAM did not sell you anything, the broker did (unless he worked for one of them but that is unlikely). You complain to the broker, even if they still existed they would reject it as pre-regulation and then you put the issue to bed. Even if you somehow found these details, the fact you cancelled the policy all those years ago allows them to invoke the time bar (3 and 6 year rules met) so again they don't need to look at your complaint even if they did accept liability for miss-sale (which they wouldn't need to).

MPPI isn't a bad product, few cases are upheld because it's a good policy that protects your home. Your complaint reasons are also a bit contradictory - if you had a permanent job then why would you mention redundancy pay? If you are entitled to it then your job obviously isn't permanent and the fact you stayed there for 10 years more is irrelevant. Even the best civil service benefits are around 12 months full pay (more likely 6 months full, 6 months half) and a mortgage is a 25 year debt, if you were sick for 6-24 months, how would you have paid the debts and all your other bills?

MPPI is PPI, the M just stands for Mortgage, it's the same product
  • Partridge89
    Options
    If you have a mortgage statement with 'insurance premium' on it that's home insurance not PPI.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have then made a claim against NRAM for a Northern Rock mortgage - claim not upheld.

Which seems logical and correct seeing as they didnt sell you PPI.
    I took out a 108% mortgage (them were the days!) with Northern Rock in 2004 via an adviser (the adviser no longer being in business).

The adviser was responsible for any sales made. So, the adviser is the one that carried the liability. Although 2004 is prior to regulation of advisers.
    My question now, is what do I do now?

you give up.
    Is this something that I can or should be referring to the Ombudsman, or do I just accept that there's no point chasing and just be grateful I only paid a year PPI?

You dont have access to the FOS as it is pre-regulation and adviser that did it is no longer in business.

Its game over. In effect, you have been complaining to Tesco about something Morrisons sold you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mjmoore0
    Options
    Thanks all for the quick responses.

Seems I've been foolishly wasting my time but ay least i know for certain.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport