We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Ways to kill a tree stump

Options
1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
Hi,

We bought our house in 2011 and there was a well established tree in my garden right next to my fence. Twice this year my neighbour has came round to talk to me about the tree's roots lifting up his block paving.

I have since cut the tree down and wondered if anybody can recommend ways of killing the remaining stump? The main way seems to be by drilling up to 10' deep holes and pouring in Epsom salt. This seems like a very slow process, I think it can take up to a year.

My neighbour hasn't had the block paving sorted yet as although I've cut the tree down we aren't sure whether the roots will continue to grow or not. We want to make sure that they don't first. Digging the stump out would be very difficult and hiring machinery would be awkward due to access.

Any recommendations are appreciated, we don't know what tree it is. Similar to cherry blossom but not one

Thanks

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Drill deep holes, fill with very strong or neat glyphosate and seal with your choice of gunk, like clay, modelling clay, Fimo....whatever. Protect from rain with plastic bag or similar. Wait.

Worked for me on willows. If it works on them.....
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on size of stump digging out/rocking back & forwards/digging shallow trench/chopping roots around base is not as hard as you may think

OP how big is the stump....if less than 36 circumference you might be in luck if its got shallow root system
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Resolva Xtra Tough Tree Stump Killer Sachets, 2 x 100 ml £6 in Wicks, takes about 6 - 8 weeks depending on stump size
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    If your neighbour wants to re-do their paving then it is a fairly simple thing to cut off the roots that are causing the problem, but it might be sensible for them to wait for a while if you are planning on killing/removing the stump. There's a few large stumps around that I know of that have been around for a few years, they seem to be used as spaceship launch pads by the local kids :D

It would be very useful to know what type of wood it is, is it worth asking your neighbour if they know what the tree was? After all, it is in their interests to help get rid.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do any of these stump killers actually work? Not in my experience, which is why the mechanicle stump removers are pricy.
  • Davesnave
    edited 19 October 2018 at 9:33AM
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Do any of these stump killers actually work?
    Well, obviously, no. I just made my contribution up.

I also hallucinated the Forestry Commission's use of these in the woods near my house:

https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/professional-weed-killers-all-alphabetical/ecoplug-max-tree-stump-killer-100-plug-pack.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google_shopping&pcode=112ECOP0100&telx=01902-440268&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI38XP7IqS3gIVkRrTCh05xAZNEAQYAiABEgKWRfD_BwE

Mechanical stump grinders give an instant result, which is important to some people, but they may not destroy all the roots,which is why trees like cherry can resurrect themselves in a dozen locations, given time.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No need to be sarky, howl long did it take,?
  • Davesnave
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    No need to be sarky, howl long did it take,?
    It's far more rude to suggest that others' contributions are works of fiction.

It took no more than a year to see off the stumps of the willows, which were pulled out with a digger when we levelled the land. Had one or two tiny bits of re-growth but they were nothing much. Still seeing bits of cherry from the soil we used to level with, where the stump was just ripped-out without any treatment.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Tree stump winch pulls the stump out , roots and all. Just anchor to a solid object- we used a gate post- and ratch up the lever to pull the whole pot out in one.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wont the average tree be far better rooted than your average gatepost?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure