Solar Panel Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

I changed supplier almost immediately after having the panels installed (my capped rate was ending and I could get a better deal elsewhere) I phoned the old and new suppliers to ask what I should do. Both said that at that time (July 2010) there was no automatic mechanism for changing who pays the FITs when you change supplier and that the old supplier would continue to pay FITs without any problem.

This has worked ok for a year now, and I'm just about to change supplier again.

Dave F
    Thanks Dave, that's very interesting and certainly simplifies matters. I wonder whether the system will change.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • jgrove_2
    jgrove_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I am looking to have PV panels installed on my house. I have lots of reasons for this, namely i get power i can use for free, and power i don't use i get paid for.

I may have mis-understood some of the responses posted here, it would seem that many people are upset because PV systems are generally installed by those who can afford the huge initial outlay.

Am i correct in thinking that because i would be paid a fixed sum for the power i produce and therefore reducing the money my power company take from me, i am therefore putting fuel prices up for those that cannot afford to have panels fitted? Surely if we applied that principle to almost anything we buy the same would apply?

I dont have 10k in a bank account to pay for the system, in fact i would need to re-mortage like many of the people i know who have had these systems fitted.

What is clear is that i am not totally convinced by some of the figures they seem to generate.

What i am interested in is simple can i produce more power than i use?
    How much would i get for the extra power and for how long?
    If less power is produced during the winter do the costs still offset themselves.?

One of my friends who has a 4kw system has said yes to all of these questions.

Thoughts?
  • Louise_Walker
    Options
    Hello,

I just spent a long time writing about some prices we received but I was logged out. Rather frustrating.

Anyway, my husband and I are retired and want solar panels. We have a big roof but not a particularly big budget. We looked at free offers but decided that buying was probably better. We had real problems getting prices, and from the article I guess we're not the only ones. The best ones we have so far are from isis solar. I've listed them below and wondered if anyone had better ones they could share?

Thank you!

3.96kw = £11,950
    3.60kw = £11,235
    3.24kw = £10,400
    2.88kw = £9,365
    2.52kw = £8,680
    2.16kw = £7,925
    1.80kw = £7,255
    1.44kw = £6,895
  • amdavies
    amdavies Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0df70188-a053-11e0-a115-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1QecsL2Hy

Without the subsidies, I am unaware of any domestic renewable power generation that is feasible. I'd be more than happy for someone to point out any that are.

If you want to save money on power, make sure you have a heat recovery ventilation system and that your house is insulated to Swedish Building Code standards.
  • digitaltoast
    Options
    jgrove wrote: »
    it would seem that many people are upset because PV systems are generally installed by those who can afford the huge initial outlay.

Am i correct in thinking that because i would be paid a fixed sum for the power i produce and therefore reducing the money my power company take from me, i am therefore putting fuel prices up for those that cannot afford to have panels fitted?
    Er, yes and no. The net loss to the UK over the next 20 years of the solar PV system is £8.2bn. The way the scheme works almost guarantees that the winners will be homesun etc, Michael Eavis and that bloke with the huge mansion he owns outright with a south facing roof. The scheme is not funded out of taxation but a rise in the electricity bills of those without the panels, the losers will be the little old lady in the bungalow with the east facing roof, those that rent, etc.
    Surely if we applied that principle to almost anything we buy the same would apply?
    Not really, because most things you buy are financially viable and driven by development and market forces. See my burger analogy above for an idea of how FiTs fit into this.
    What is clear is that i am not totally convinced by some of the figures they seem to generate.

You're right to be. As I mentioned in my post above, salesmen have been hugely exaggerating the benefits. Have a listen to the findings of a Which? investigation.
    What i am interested in is simple can i produce more power than i use?

Yes, at mid-day you'll be producing enough to boil a kettle. Providing you fancy a nice hot cup of tea exactly when the sun comes out, then the answer is yes. If you use electricity to light your house and watch television in the evening, the answer is probably no.
    How much would i get for the extra power and for how long?

I've leave that one to Grahamc2003, Cardew or Zapateur - they're better at these ones!
    If less power is produced during the winter do the costs still offset themselves.?

Hardly any power will be produced during the winter
    Solar module manufacturers quote figures for the “peak power” of their products. These are what they would generate if one kilowatt per square metre of the sun’s energy were to fall on them.

But for most of England and Wales, the summer insolation is a fraction of that figure. London gets 198W and Edinburgh 172W in July. In December, the figures are 22 and 13 respectively - a lot less - and that’s when you need more power.

As a guide, 22 watts is enough to power one low energy CFL lightbulb.
    If you have 4 square metres of panel, you might just be able to light an incandescent lightbulb in the middle of a sunny December day.
    One of my friends who has a 4kw system has said yes to all of these questions.

One of your friends is either parroting a salesman or is desperate to justify their outlay.
  • Bingobongo
    Bingobongo Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 29 June 2011 at 10:54AM
    Options
    To take part in this scheme is to be party to what is, in effect, a massive swindle of grand proportions.
    Essentially the only way that this renewable energy (oxymoron alert) con is possible is by the massive subsidies ordered by the climate hysterics in government who actually believe that carbon dioxide is responsible for, erm chuckle, tornadoes and the demise of poor little polar bears.
    These idiots have fallen for the global warming con and think it's a good idea to give those right-on middle classes with spare cash in the bank to go out and buy solar panels and pocket any cash earned via the feed-in tariff scheme. All this profit is paid for by those who cannot afford to buy solar panels namely millions of people in low income jobs and pensioners and other unfortunates.
    But never mind you're saving the planet right and making money at the same time. Well great. Good luck to you but as I understand it this website was set up in order to expose dodgy practices.
  • digitaltoast
    Options
    Bingobongo wrote: »
    To take part in this scheme is to be party to what is, in effect, a massive swindle of grand proportions.
    Essentially the only way that this renewable energy (oxymoron alert) con is possible is by the massive subsidies ordered by the climate hysterics in government.
    These idiots have fallen for the global warming con and think it's a good idea to give those right-on middle classes with spare cash in the bank to go out and buy solar panels and pocket any cash earned via the feed-in tariff scheme. All this profit is paid for by those who cannot afford to buy solar panels namely millions of people in low income jobs and pensioners and other unfortunates.

Well, I probably wouldn't entirely share your view on climate change, but the rest is right.
    Bingobongo wrote: »
    But never mind you're saving the planet right and making money at the same time.

Actually, they're not even doing that! The "carbon savings" from the Great PV Swindle are infinitesimally small.
    The government expects this scheme to save 7m tonnes of carbon dioxide by 2020(. Assuming, generously, that the rate of installation keeps accelerating, this suggests a saving of around 20m tonnes of CO2 by 2030. The estimated price by then is £8.6bn. This means it’ll cost around £430 to save one tonne of carbon dioxide.

Last year the consultancy company McKinsey published a table of cost comparisons. It found that you could save a tonne of CO2 for £3 by investing in geothermal energy, or for £8 by building a nuclear power plant. Insulating commercial buildings costs nothing; in fact it saves £60 for every tonne of CO2 you reduce; replacing incandescent lightbulbs with LEDs saves £80 per tonne. The government predicts that the tradeable value of the carbon saved by its £8.6bn scheme will be £420m.

The German government made the same mistake ten years ago. By 2006 its generous feed-in tariffs had stimulated 230,000 solar roofs, at a cost of E1.2bn. Their total contribution to the country’s electricity supply was 0.4%. Their total contribution to carbon savings, as a paper in the journal Energy Policy points out, is zero

And remember, that's from pro-greeny and climate change advocate George Monbiot. If HE thinks it's a bad thing, you can imagine how bad it really is!

Incidentally, if anyone's wondering where I'm coming from in respect to climate change, personally I think we're stuffed. People are too ignorant, selfish and stupid and wasteful. It's easier to believe unqualified hacks like James Delingpole than real scientists, for the same reason people believe in homoeopathy, religion and conspiracy theories. It's literally a no-brainer - why do all that awkward thinking stuff when there are unqualified bloggers and newspaper columnists to help you avoid that?

That said, whatever we should or shouldn't be doing, there are literally thousands of better ways to spend £8.2bn of other people's money than this crazy scheme.

Oooh! I think I've just thought of a clever(?) analogy!
    You know how traditionally the first class seats on airlines (and to some extent trains) have heavily subsidised cattle class?
    Well FiTs are kind of like that, but in reverse. Imagine if a hefty tax were levied on healthy food and children's clothing in order to massively subsidise Bollinger Champagne? Would there still be so many enthusiasts?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that precisely what FiTs does but for energy?
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    Phew!

I was thinking the previous solar thread was closed because things were getting too hot and bothered!

Out of the frying pan into a hotter fire it looks like to me.

I think people are realising the massive cost onto our bills of these pretty engineringly stupid ideas. We now pay, in our electricity bills, 37% of the actual generation cost of that electricity towards these types of 'green' ideas. I expect people landed with bills they can't afford are now questioning the sanity of these subsidies.

Is it right, or moral, for the poorer off generally to transfer cash to the better off generally via this subsidy system?

Is it right at this time of cutbacks in every other area, to be subsidising extermely inefficient methods of electricity generation?

Is it right to be subsidising uncontrollable generation of little value which produces electricity when the spot price isn't high, yet produces nothing at all when electricity is needed most and prices are highest?

Is it right to be subsidising generation which, even if every roof in the uk were covered, wouldn't reduce the number of power stations we need?
  • KevinG
    Options
    Hello,

I just spent a long time writing about some prices we received but I was logged out. Rather frustrating.

Anyway, my husband and I are retired and want solar panels. We have a big roof but not a particularly big budget. We looked at free offers but decided that buying was probably better. We had real problems getting prices, and from the article I guess we're not the only ones. The best ones we have so far are from isis solar. I've listed them below and wondered if anyone had better ones they could share?

Thank you!

3.96kw = £11,950
    3.60kw = £11,235
    3.24kw = £10,400
    2.88kw = £9,365
    2.52kw = £8,680
    2.16kw = £7,925
    1.80kw = £7,255
    1.44kw = £6,895
    I wish I'd got mine that cheap but I jumped in too quickly without researching properly. Worth checking out Tesco's prices at http://www.tescohomeefficiency.com/electricity-pricing/ - 3.91kW comes out at £11,599 after the 20% discount + clubcard points. I don't know whether anyone here has any experience of Tesco solar panels.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • KevinG
    Options
    I think this comment in the article is a little misleading: "Yet solar panels don't need sunshine to work, just daylight, so you can still generate some electricity on gloomy days" - it may be technically true but the amount of electricity you generate when the sun is shining is massively more than when it clouds over, by a factor of at least 4 in my experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure