Beagle Street or L&G life & critical illness! Please help!

Options
Hiya
I've been looking into life insurance with critical illness cover for ages now and I'm at my wits end. I have narrowed it down to two which are practically the same price. Beagle Street and Legal and General. Beagle street has amazing trustpilot reviews, L&G's aren't great, however L&G cover more things but I've read a few stories about them that I didn't like.

Who should I go for? Thanks so much for any replies

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beagle street has amazing trustpilot reviews

Trustpilot is extremely unreliable though. You can remove bad reviews and I have seen scams with amazing reviews. That is no comment on Beagle street. Just pointing out the unreliability of trustpilot.

L&G's aren't great on CIC. They focus on the bottom end of the market in terms of coverage and premium. Beagle Street is provided by Scottish Friendly.
    Who should I go for?

CIC and life assurance is not all the same. So, you need to compare coverage as well as cost. We cant answer that as you havent mentioned what sort of coverage you are after.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nikkisunshine
    Options
    What I'm looking for is £250,000 level term life insurance and £100,000 critical illness over 25 years. I also want it to include critical child illness. Me and my husband are getting two separate policies. I find the more I look into it the more confused I am getting. I am going to do it through Moneyworld and pay the £25 fee.

It's so confusing :(
  • paulbrighton2018
    Options
    compare the conditions that each cover as standard- I understand l&G have added a few new things, recently, with some additional topup options.
    formerly known as skintpaul. I sometimes lurk / post local (Brighton) stuff, on the Competitions forum page.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Beagle Street, from my limited knowledge of their product (but quick reading), is that they offer a cheap product with basic coverage to target the bottom end of the market (price focused rather than quality focused). They covered only half the conditions that the other main providers covered.

The other thing about trustpilot is, how many of those writing the reviews were actually in a position to comment on the quality of the product compared to others on the market. Service maybe (but there are so few things to go wrong at application that anyone could get good reviews).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wouldn't it be better to but through an independant financial advisor? They would be aware of which companies have the least and most medical conditions covered by the CIC. They would have access to products that aren't sold direct to the public. Plus they are qualified to advise you and you're protected by the FCA should you later think you were missold in any way.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    What is it you are looking for?
    Both of those providers compete on price over quality.

I do not think I would touch Beagle Street with a barge pole from what I have read (although it has been maybe 2 years since I looked in to their policy). L&G there is nothing wrong with, but there are better policies out there. If you want something average that will save you a few quid, L&G is probably not a bad bet, if you want something for a few quid more but will be more likely to pay out (ie better worded conditions where it counts - ABI+ definitions) then there are better options out there.

I think you are doing what a lot of people do and looking at the numbers rather than the detail.
    Guaranteed or reviewable premiums, are the conditions ABI (bare minimum) or ABI+, if ABI+ are they ABI+ where it counts (cancer, heart conditions, stroke, anything that is likely to run in the family?).

Some cover is better than no cover, so whichever you go for, it is better than none. But like anything in life, you typically get what you pay for. Also do not underestimate the need for advice. When I used to work for a life office, I had 2 months of training and 4 months on the job before I felt confident on the products.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You want to get the cover for the bare minimum price yet it appears that you definitely need advice. Where is the logic behind what you are selecting, why £250,000 life cover and £100,000 critical illness? Personally, I'd be looking at long term income protection before I look at critical illness cover.

For the sake of a few quid a month and getting the job done properly (plus having the protection of being able to complain to the FOS) I think you'd be better seeking some financial advice on this.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Her second post smacks a bit of thinly disguised spam to me!
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hmm. Let's see;-

https://www.defaqto.com/star-ratings/life-and-protection/critical-illness-level-term/

Beagle Street rated three stars

Legal & General rated five stars.

I know which I would be buying!
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Beagle Street rated three stars

Legal & General rated five stars.

I know which I would be buying!

Given the choice of the two its clear. Given the choice on the marketplace it would be neither of those.

This highlights the issues of rating systems like trustpilot. Those giving the ratings really do not know what they are talking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure