Lloyds Home Insurance - no question about structural movement?

Options
My sister is looking at a Lloyds quote for home insurance on her new home which suffered some structural movement over 10 years ago. If she puts this into price comparison sites she gets a limited number of quotes and they're all quite pricey. However the quote direct from Lloyds is less than half the price. They don't appear to have asked about structural movement and I can't see anything in the T&Cs that would stop her using them. Are we missing something?

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Is it an assumption on their quote?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Is it an assumption on their quote?

I've just found this on the final page:
    The home including any brick, stone or concrete outbuildings:

Does not currently have any damage which you know is caused by subsidence, or have been advised could be caused by subsidence

If subject to any previous subsidence damage, has had that damage fully rectified and is no longer required to be monitored.

I think the last bit applies to her. Damage was repaired and monitored up to 2005 and the recent survey confirmed no movement since then. I'm assuming she's good to go?
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Sounds like it.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    A lesson not to rely on comparison sites too much. Answering yes to this question on Go Compare results in it saying that Lloyds were unable to quote.

To the best of your knowledge, has the property, its site or the surrounding area within 400 metres ever suffered from subsidence, landslip, heave or tree root damage?
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Now I can understand why they do this on comparison sites. If they didn't decline, and the majority of the rest of the market did (as you mention they do in your OP); they would get 'selected against'.

Declining on aggs is a common thing for insurers where they are willing to write soft non standard, but don't want to pick up a disproportionate share of the market.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Suggest she talks to an insurance broker.. They will know which insurers are most appropriate for her circumstances and she may well get a better offer than the comparison web sites say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure