Universal credit

Options
2»

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Mersey wrote: »
    This makes sense - but the previous post (that they deducted 3 weeks' worth of UC £ doesn't ie both can't be true)

Any earned income from employment is used to calculate the following month's UC payment.

The rent figure doesn't sound right at all - so it's worth asking the DWP to check that. He can raise a complaint via the UC national contact centres over the 'phone if he believes it was miscalculated.

Although from what you have said any £ owed re the housing element of UC may be cancelled out by the overpayment re earnings.

How can you say the rent figure sounds wrong when you don't know the sons income?
  • ChrisDA95
    ChrisDA95 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    How can you say the rent figure sounds wrong when you don't know the sons income?

I could it be wrong, but the rent figure is most likely the shared accommodation rate. There was a recent change in HB where new claimants under 30 could only get the lowest rate that the local authority awards.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    ChrisDA95 wrote: »
    I could it be wrong, but the rent figure is most likely the shared accommodation rate. There was a recent change in HB where new claimants under 30 could only get the lowest rate that the local authority awards.

Agreed. However it is based on income, and is tapered. So you could potentially get £1 a week help if your income was near the threshold.

We can't judge if £20 a week is fair or not based on the info provided
  • ChrisDA95
    Options
    Agreed. However it is based on income, and is tapered. So you could potentially get £1 a week help if your income was near the threshold.

We can't judge if £20 a week is fair or not based on the info provided

I'm not making any judgements about whether it is fair, just simply stating that the reason the full rent isn't being covered is due to changes in housing benefit for under-30s. .
  • ChrisDA95
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    It's 35. Under 35s get the shared rate, 35+ get the 1 bed rate.

I stand corrected. I don't know too much about it myself, I believe my local authority and local JC are still in the middle of phasing UC in. .
  • marliepanda
    Options
    ChrisDA95 wrote: »
    I'm not making any judgements about whether it is fair, just simply stating that the reason the full rent isn't being covered is due to changes in housing benefit for under-30s. .

Agreed, however, I doubt any shared rates are as low as £20 a week, so there's certainly an income related element on it as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure