Can someone help me with a Mac problem please

Options
2»

Comments

• jack_spratt_2
    Options
    Just an idea if have you a apple store in your area !! you can book an appointment with them free of charge and I am sure they would give you advice and point you in the right direction !!
    I think they would be sympathetic to your situation
  • Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    Options
    Poppytime wrote: »
    I have taken the HD out of the Mac and attached it to my laptop with USB to SATA/IDE cable - is this essentially the same as above? Have downloaded MacDrive and the HD is showing up on my laptop but don't seem able to extract the files. Could it be that the HD is failing? Have read that I may have to install software called GetDataBack to help with this - Does this sound right to you?
    Thanks for your help

Yes, its pretty much the same thing. Mac Drive allows Windows to mount the HFS+ file system the Mac uses.

What happens when you try to copy a file?
  • Poppytime
    Poppytime Posts: 8,353 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions but nothing is making it work :(

The two recovery programmes I have used are not recognising any files and
    Marty - when I try to find HD with Macdrive it is just not recognising it as being there at all.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints - the sinners are much more fun ;)

• Poppytime
    Options
    Just to update you .... Took the HD to the Apple IT department but they were unable to recover the files as the HD had failed. They have, however, fitted a new HD under Apples 'Extended Repair Programme'. Thanks to all for suggestions that were given
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints - the sinners are much more fun ;)

• jack_spratt_2
    Options
    'Extended Repair Programme"

Could you explain what this is??

Is it an extended warranty you have taken out or is it a goodwill action from apple

Thanks
  • Poppytime
    Options
    'Extended Repair Programme"

Could you explain what this is??

Is it an extended warranty you have taken out or is it a goodwill action from apple

Thanks

From what I can gather there is a known fault with DD's model which wasn't exactly 'said' but intimated and a goodwill action from Apple. I have to say I cannot fault their service but am a bit peeved that they did not return the old HD

• Leopard
    Leopard Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    Options
    Poppytime wrote: »

From what I can gather there is a known fault with DD's model which wasn't exactly 'said' but intimated and a goodwill action from Apple. I have to say I cannot fault their service but am a bit peeved that they did not return the old HD

I've only just come across this thread (have been abroad) but – for the benefit of anyone else who experiences this problem – these symptoms on a Mac are usually indicative of a faulty hard drive.

When a Mac displays a question-mark symbol, it's saying that it can't find a working version of Mac OS from which to boot.

If its internal hard drive dies, you get the blank screen.

Apple type number A1181 is a general one for all MacBooks prior to the 2009 Unibody versions.

There's a known problem with the hard drives of those produced from its inception, in May 2006, until November 2007, which Apple has acknowledged publicly and for which it operates a free replacement scheme. See here.

I'd imagine that Apple did not return the faulty drive because an innocent-looking but defective hard drive is an unwise thing to leave lying around, because the data on it could not be retrieved and because it could not imagine anyone would be stupid enough not to back up safely the data on their laptop.

Don't laugh at banana republics. :rotfl:

As a result of how you voted in the last three General Elections,
    you'd now be better off living in one.

• Poppytime
    Options
    Leopard wrote: »
    I'd imagine that Apple did not return the faulty drive because an innocent-looking but defective hard drive is an unwise thing to leave lying around, because the data on it could not be retrieved and because it could not imagine anyone would be stupid enough not to back up safely the data on their laptop.

A defective hard drive may be an unwise thing to leave lying around but contrary to what you say there are ways and means for the data to be retrieved and I would prefer the item to be in my possession where I would deem it to be safest.

As to your comment as to anybody being stupid enough not to back up their data .... hey ho, what it must be like to be perfect eh?

• terryf
    terryf Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You should seriously consider getting a suitable external drive and use the Apple Time Machine program to get an hourly backup of your work while-ever you have your machine on.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    terryf wrote: »
    You should seriously consider getting a suitable external drive and use the Apple Time Machine program to get an hourly backup of your work while-ever you have your machine on.

16th of April terryf, before Leopard was banned ! :beer:
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure