Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages

Options

Comments

• postingalwaysposting
    Options
    how many layers do you put on the money animals?
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    how many layers do you put on the money animals?

I only put about 4 layers but usually soak a full sheet of newspaper and try to cover most of it as the final layer. Depends how quickly you want it to dry out and how long you want it to last :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Milly1974
    Options
    I made a money pig from paper mache, and I just carried on putting layers on until he felt solid. I did it in stages, and just added another layer each evening after work. That way it took a bit longer and kept me busy!

I'm going to have to do an ebay search now for a logmaker and see what I can come up with. Sounds like a great idea!
    :naughty:
    OD £lots Egg Card £329.04 Parents £650 Sofa £741.78
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like this thread!

When you make the glue for the papier mache, what's the best way to store it (or do you have to make fresh for each layer?)

We're going to make some sealed pots for presents for next year and I'm very excited. DS is not so excited but he will be when we start!
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    I like this thread!

When you make the glue for the papier mache, what's the best way to store it (or do you have to make fresh for each layer?)

We're going to make some sealed pots for presents for next year and I'm very excited. DS is not so excited but he will be when we start!

well dont do what i did and leave it out overnight un covered ~ it produces a crust like layer on top and doesnt smell too healthy ~ i shall make some more today :D
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    I like this thread!

I find that the 3 cups of flour / 1 cup water recipe does me for completing the first layer if I'm doing 2 balloons - I just keep putting on the paper until the glue is done.

If you make too much, by mistake, you can add salt and more flour to make it into salt dough I think but would need to check first before trying it LOL

OK, checked the salt dough recipe and it's 2 cups plain flour to 1 cup water and one cup salt so you would just need to add some salt and more flour. If you decide to make salt dough ornaments or items, you do not need to cook the mixture, just 'knead' it like bread dough for 10 mins or so before you start modelling it. It takes about 2 days to dry out properly before you can paint & varnish it. (You can also dry it in the oven at a low temp.)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    well i just made a new batch and this one is very smooth and no lumps like the last batch :rolleyes: using a hand mixer works well :)
  • pandapaws
    pandapaws Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    Options
    Fantastic idea! I know nothing about crafty stuff, would love to try.
    Prudent wrote: »
    I shall make the prudent panda, ta for the idea. :)

I've GOT to have a prudent panda! Are there instructions for that somewhere that I missed?
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Great thread! Love the mone pigs - a free terramundi & will be making one for my £2 coins so thanks for that!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• miss_phish
    Options
    I can't believe this thread!

My partners children are coming to stay with us on the 27th (first time i'll have met them :eek: :D ) and I thought it would be great to make a papier mache piggy bank with them.... Are you guys psychic???!

I've been saving toilet rolls to make the nose & legs, bought the baloons yesterday but I was planning to water down PVA to make the gluey bit.. anone know the quantities of glue to water??

LOVED the ideas for other animals - thanks guys!

:T :T :T
    Piggypoints - 207+£10 * Quidco - £95 * Tesco - 1095 * Sainsbugs - 4237
    :DI SHALL be debt free!!!!!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills