2»

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 November 2019 at 8:56AM
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    This may sound a silly question, but was his behaviour similar with his previous owner, or has it just started now he has been rehomed?

I am only wondering if this is a new behaviour, or one already well established.

The walking in, out , lead on lead off, keep him guessing rather than predicting is great advice. Dogs learn a human routine very quickly- as soon as I pick up my swimming bag they are ready waiting for the 'I'm going out without you' dog treat!!

Hope you can sort it fairly quickly, but if not, this is a short term problem when set against the (hopefully) many years that you will have together.
    Good luck

The routine bit is very true, my dogs know the difference between my getting ready for work routine and my going out without you routine and act very differently. Several of my fosters have had separation anxiety (understandable considering their history) but settled fine and slept all day when I went to work but became distressed, loud, and destructive when left for any other reason. We've had doggy cams set up for years to monitor them and there is a marked difference in them between being left for work and being left any other time even the ones without SA.

Even as I type this I'm getting ready for work and both dogs have gone back to bed after their morning wees (until OH gets up in a while) but yesterday on my day off and getting ready to pop out food shopping they followed me everywhere, got under my feet, were very clingy, were constantly play fighting with each other, whined when put back in the kitchen for me to leave, scratching at the door etc.
  • Brodiebobs
    Brodiebobs Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    His previous owner said he didn't have these issues (i can only take their word!) but we think it might be a bit more than settling in.

Hes been in our room since and sleeps fine on a night now with no noise. We have been practicing the going out training and he seems to be less anxious when we leave now, but our (very understanding!) neighbour reported some noise when we were out at the weekend for a couple of hours and he had also caused some destruction in the room he was left in.

However its early days and he is progressing, and hes a beautiful little boy so we're happy to carry on working with him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure