Getting Cat's breed confirmed

Options
I purchased a kitten on resale as the person reckoned (now my kitten) wasn't getting on with their existing cats so very stupidly I know I didn't get to ever see the 'Mum' cat and rushed picking her up as upset seller wanted her gone. It was advertised as an indoor long haired cross Bengal and rag doll although it turns out she isn't long haired (not that that is such a bad thing after a decade with a long haired tortishell cat) and I'm sure I see the M for moggie on the forehead.

I've just been delivered a blow by a rather negative Vet today at second inoculation that I couldn't have brought a worser cat type and that she will need to go outdoors and will turn into a nightmare who will hate me. Don't have garden and live in flat.

Whilst we've been frantically googling - can I go somewhere to get the breed confirmed? Hope this doesn't sound so dumb. I've only ever had indoor cats and wonder about buying a cat lead? Could that work.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Ignore your vet. Sounds like a right !!!! to be honest.

If you like your kitten does it really matter what she is?

If you do really want to find out for insurance purposes or just to read up on traits, possible health issues and other related things then you will need a cat genetics test. Several are listed if you Google it.

Please bear in mind that even pure bred cats are a mix of cats to get 'the look', so the results may not be much use.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 August 2019 at 5:13PM
    Options
    Many thanks, Dad did say afterwards he felt the Vet was in a grump and possibly not a 'cat person' thinking it over but she wanted to insist kitten would turn into a mini tiger and kill birds of prey and demolish my home as this cat breed best outdoors as bengals are hunters. I thought I'd done well on tackling one bad kitten behaviour to hear the others of biting and leg climbing may not stop!

To be fair I rather got the impression they were not keen on my last cat either. Her dark colourings meant to them she was pretty vicious and maybe I was spoilt in the lead up to her death when she became very clingy.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your vet is talking through their !!!!!

Bengals live quite happily indoors, in fact, safer for them.

Your kitten is not a pedigree cat it is moggy mixed breeds nothing wrong with them at all are just moggies.

You really want need to know then only DNA testing will confirm the actual breed.

Just enjoy your kitten let them settle in and change your vet.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Your vet sounds like a right @rse tbh. Some cats HAVE to be indoor cats due to health problems.
    If you want good, reliable information about cats please look at the Cats Protection website.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 August 2019 at 10:14PM
    Options
    Why did you get a cat when you have no access to outdoors? Even indoor cats should be able to go out in a secure garden or run regularly.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why did you get a cat when you have no access to outdoors? Even indoor cats should be able to go out in a secure garden or run regularly.

Understand that is your view. I even recently had a kitten seller contact me to say her kittens had become available again after she refused to proceed with a sale when she discovered they were going to be kept in doors as she said she couldn't let them go as indoor, knowing full well they had already spent time in garden climbing trees and catching mice.

Some cats don't want to go outdoors - my last cat I adopted from Cats Protection and I actually passed their home assessment because they wanted the cat as indoor cat. My home even beat a doctor and his wife who wanted her. And she lived successfully indoors for 10 years with me. Please don't tell me I shortened her life as the vets could never tell me her age their last wild stab was c.15 years.

My parents found the advert for my new kitten which read indoor as they didn't want me going to rescue centre and coming out with an older cat, anyway, my luck was out all the cats were coming up as out door at the particular time so I doubt I'd have passed a home accessment this time round and have no wish to turn an outdoor cat into indoors when I have been supplied the info.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Massive thanks everyone, I picked up your Cat magazine that has in the current issue a feature article on Bengals and yes it is actually said it is not wise to let bengals go out and roam free.

Will look into 'exercise wheel'!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Massive thanks everyone, I picked up your Cat magazine that has in the current issue a feature article on Bengals and yes it is actually said it is not wise to let bengals go out and roam free.

Will look into 'exercise wheel'!
    I think I would also be looking into changing my vet.
  • Blondetotty
    Blondetotty Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My mums cat is a pure bred Bengal that was an ex breeding Queen. Mum rescued her when the breeder gave up on Bengals and moved into breeding Savannahs as they were worth more money.

Mums cat was about 3 years old when she got her and is about 12 now and she's fine. She lived for the first 3 years of her life in a cat pen and didn't know how to be a pet until she lived with my mum. Mum lives in an over 50's sheltered accommodation small 1 bed flat and the cat has never been outside in her life, apart from finally getting secured balcony access about 2 years ago. She's not a Tiger, a nightmare, a loose cannon, a devil cat or a problem. She's probably the sweetest, most gentle cat on the planet.

I'd be tempted to a) change my vet immediately, b) stop giving a toss about what kind of breed my kitten might be unless I had specific papers and finally c) just be the best cat mum I could possibly be given my current home and situation.

Chill....but definitely change your Vet. That one's an idiot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure