Microchip - change of address

Options
Identichip want £15.95 to change address on the database for our cat.

What extortion! It would take at most 1 minute to update on a database .... probably cost £0.50

I'll take the risk that the cat doesn't go missing.
DFW. £59k debt cleared in 2017. £25k debt cleared in 2019. Then bought a house, and got £70k new debt in 2019. Total of £154k unsecured debt. Cleared on 1st June 2022.

Comments

• hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not much point in the cat being chipped if records aren't up to date! IIRC, doesn't one payment then cover you for all future changes?
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In the grand schemes of the costs of moving house, it's pretty minimal. I would update it - I see lots of social media posts from local vets asking if people recognise animals - they've scanned them but the chip details are out of date.
  • sp1920
    sp1920 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you would like your cat to be quickly identified, for instance if it was involved in an accident and needed care, then the chip needs to be up to date. Also, if you have pet insurance they would expect it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    https://www.identichip.co.uk/pet-owner/identibase/

If you are an identibase® plan member you will need to upgrade to identibase® plus or identibase® premium. There is a one-off cost to join either plan, however this is for the full lifetime of your pet, and you can make unlimited amends to your details.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrGorsky wrote: »

What extortion! It would take at most 1 minute to update on a database .... probably cost £0.50
    I think you're missing a few things ...
    1. A database must be compiled and kept securely and accurately. There are costs involved in this.
    2. The person updating the database needs to be sure that the person giving the information about updating the database is authorised to change the details.
    3. When someone sends them an enquiry about a found microchip, someone will be checking the database then.
    4. Somewhere, there will be an office which has overhead costs

I don't know what it costs to register a microchip in the first place, but I can assure you that any time I change someone's details on our database, it costs more than 50p to do so in terms of my time, never mind the ongoing costs of securely maintaining a database.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    MrGorsky wrote: »

I'll take the risk that the cat doesn't go missing.

What do you base that cost on?
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is you cat not worth £15.95?
  • davidsian
    Options
    This is Money Saving Expert - so surely the question is - are there alternatives?
    I have 4 cats and was not happy at the idea of spending £64 to change their address details - particularly when I looked up reviews of identichip (add www to links below as it won't let me post links)
    .reviews.io/company-reviews/store/identibase

It does seem they are a rip off company, particularly when there are alternatives eg
    .freepetchipregistry.com/
    .foundanimals.org[/

My only question is - do vets check these free sites when they find a lost microchipped cat. Grateful if anyone working in a vets could let me know?
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Petlog offer a service costing £17 for a lifetime membership, no additional charges to change details for the lifetime of your pet.

https://www.petlog.org.uk/upgrade-to-petlog-premium/
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Even with Petlog basic service, it's £6 to update/change the pet/keeper details. I know as just did 2 x changes (2 pets) yesterday and it was £12. You can do it on-line if you have all the info. I had to call their customer service and there was hardly any waiting time and the person was very helpful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback