Let the Adventure Begin

Options

Comments

• MrMFW
    MrMFW Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2018 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Thanks edinburgher - booked in to have it done in February, thought I needed something non MFW to look forward to!

Ok so today marks the start of my £250 challenge which will run until next payday (October 26th) i've just got back from MrT and so i'd thought i'd share my shopping list with you all;-

• Bread - 50p
    • Fromage Frais x 12 - 80p
    • Butter/Spread - 75p
    • Jacket Potatoes x 4 - 49p
    • Ham Slices - 93p
    • Heck Chicken Sausages - £2
    • Beef Mince - £1.81 (Yellow Sticker)
    • Passata - 35p
    • Beef Gravy Granules - 20p
    • Pasta - 30p
    • Longlife Milk - 55p (I usually use our work milk for cereal/tea during the week)
    • Cornflakes - 55p
    • Orange & Mango Squash - £1 (as I find it hard just drinking water)

Grand Total - £10.23
    BUT, I found a £2 coin in my coat pocket so technically £8.23 off my £250 budget.

I will need to buy some 'top up' items during the week such as fruit & veg when I run out but with what I bought today and the stocks I already have in, Im confident this will last till next weekend!

So a rough meal plan for the week will include;-
    • Breakfast - Cereal & a cup of Tea
    • Lunches - Ham Sandwitches / Jacket Potatoes with Chill
    • Dinners - Chilli / Spag Bol / Cottage Pie / Heck Sausages & Mash
    • Snacks - Fruit, Veg & Fromage Frais (I'm trying to only snack on 'healthy things' this month too as I have the worlds worst sweet tooth)

I know this is probably not the most nutritious food plan out there but I am a VERY fussy eater so it suits me fine :)

We have the in-laws down tomorrow for the day so i'm going to have to think of a way to entertain them without breaking the bank - we do need some new curtains for the bedroom and have a £20 voucher from when we moved in for the big yellow and blue place so we may take a trip there :)

Anyway enough blabbering on, I hope you all have a fantastic weekend and I will endeavour to keep you updated!
    Mortgage: 04/02/2019: £96,927
    Overpayments 2019: £725.06
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Belated congratulations on moving in, and on your first overpayment! It's awesome that you're starting straight away. :j

Also, we've got tattoo pots as well :D
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • MrMFW
    Options
    Thanks Julicorn - I do love my tattoo's, think I will always be saving for the next one!

We were very lucky when we moved in that everything was left for us (sofa, white goods, bed frame etc) so we've had minimal outgoings and will just replace things as and when we see fit (or they break). This has meant we could immediately start making overpayments :D

I also have a loan and credit card that i'm currently paying around £275 a month on, this will be paid off by next December so will then be diverting this money to overpayments :)
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    Haha, tattoos are addictive for sure! I'm saving up some money for the Brighton convention in February at the moment.

And that's pretty good that you more or less got to move into a furnished property. :)
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's good if you move in to somewhere with reasonable quality goods - we got left with several manky chipboard wardrobes that took a full skip to dispose of (and were hiding damage to a wall!) :eek:
  • MrMFW
    Options
    Happy Monday! - I do hope you all had a lovely weekend.

We spent the best part of Saturday finishing off the painting in the bedroom, just need to get some shelves, lights & new blinds and the bedroom will be pretty much complete.

Sunday the in-laws didn't end up coming down so we popped to Ikea to get some picture frames courtesy of a £20 voucher bought as a moving in gift, almost had a NSD but wandered in to B&M on the way home and spent £1.99 on sweets :(

However - two bits of MSE related news; firstly I have £80.76 expenses from a work trip going in to my account tomorrow that I had completely forgotten about and not budgeted for so this will go straight to OP.

Secondly - we had ordered a bed from MADE which was supposed to be delivered last week but has now been delayed to December :( decided to cancel the order and picked up a bargain bed with great reviews over at Dreams and saved £250 in the process. I'm going to use some of this money to finish off the bedroom and the rest (probably just over £100) will also go toward OP.

Today was also a NSD :T yay
  • MrMFW
    edited 2 October 2018 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Good Evening,

Made that £80.76 OP this morning :D

Then I arrived at work to find out I'd won a competition, £10 Amazon Voucher :T which I used to buy some copper wired lights to go round our new bed frame, thinking of having them on some sort of timer to come on in the evenings, cost £12.99 so £2.99 spent!

THEN, I find out I've won another competition in work for a further £10 voucher which I haven't spent yet but I was feeling super lucky so bought myself a Euromillions Lucky Dip for this evening so £2.50 spent hehe (they do say everything comes in three's so keep your fingers crossed for me).

Bought some new blinds (£56.63) & shelves (£41.84) this evening using the £250 savings from the bed, just need to get B&Q to cut me up some battens so I can put up the shelves and will be putting whatever's left over towards OP - should be around £130-£140 leftover.

That's about it for today - whether many people read my diary or not i'm already feeling so much more focussed so thank you all for keeping me going!!

Actually - thought i'd just add that I received an email from our electricity supplier (outfox) confirming they would be increasing our DD from 1st November so must remember to shop around to see if I can get a better deal, it's a shame as only just moved to them. What's everyone's opinion on fixing in for a longer period? I feel like electricity just keeps getting more and more expensive :(
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Congrats on the wins! :D :T
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • MrMFW
    Options
    Thanks Greent - I never win anything so felt brilliant to finally be a winner for once!

After my post yesterday realised I had a £40 voucher for MADE (compensation for the bed delays) so bought a lovely new duvet set and only paid £3 for the delivery.

£20 spent this morning on a pack of train tickets - you can buy them in batches of 6 tickets which I find saves me money as I sometimes get a lift in to work of a morning/evening :)

Other than that spent absolutely nothing, even met a friend for a 'drink' after work to catch up but just got a soda water (free) - luckily my friends know me well enough so don't bat an eyelid anymore.

Really starting to feel the nights drawing in, winter is definitely coming :( asked for a call back from Estroga yesterday after my post about the electric, still waiting for a call but their 12 month fix seems to be the cheapest for me at the moment.

£210.29 left of the October budget so well on track to achieving this months goal and am hoping there will be some spare to put toward the OP pot at the end :T
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to wish you luck with the new diary :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure