Car Insurance Company Invitation to Insurance Fraud

Options
2»

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Until today ... and this thread .... I didn't know there were such charges though. I've been driving 40 years and never made a change, or even thought about it to be honest... except address changes, which were very few in past years.

So, I've "suddenly discovered" this concept of changes and charges.

If you hang around this board more than I guess you have done previously you'll find out all sorts of interesting (I use the term loosely ;)) things about insurance that you didn't know existed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was a director of a small company and also employed by them. When I "retired" from employment I remained a director. I rang my insurers (Privilege) and told them the position, and I was told it didn't matter whether I considered myself "retired" or "working" (occupation - director).
    But they advised that if I chose "working" I would be covered for occasionally driving into work, but not if retired. It made no difference to the premium and there was no charge.
  • Rest001
    Options
    Interesting post!
    My views:
    You enter into a contract with the insurer when you first set up.
    Any change to the information that contract was based upon must be conveyed to the insurer.
    The insurer does not want to have to employ staff to deal with changes, it is not a charity - it will charge fees.
    Alongside those fees there may be an increase due to the type of change you having made being deemed as a higher risk for that insurer.

I understand the point you make, who would bother calling and updating small details and pay for the privilege. However, that's unfortunately what we've all signed up for - all there in the good ole terms and conditions :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It surely also depends on the precise question asked in the proposal.
    If it asks for your employent, then you would have to report all changes, even temporary.
    But if it asks for your occupation, then that remains a constant even if at one particular moment you are between jobs. An accountant remains an accountant even after he has put one completed job back in its folder in the filing cabinet but has not yet picked up his next job.
    A supply teacher remains a supply teacher in between assignments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure