PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

house buying Chaps transfer

Options
2»

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you actually encountered an issue whilst trying to send a CHAPS payment to the solicitor or are you just making a mountain out of a molehill which may never exist?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Have you actually encountered an issue whilst trying to send a CHAPS payment to the solicitor or are you just making a mountain out of a molehill which may never exist?

It's usually a good idea to determine whether it's a mountain or a molehill well ahead of the time you actually have to face it.

That said, the best people to ask are the people you bank with, rather than random strangers off the internet.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MarcoM wrote: »
    was the amount considerable?

See post #5. It was considerable to me ;)
  • wantonnoodle
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    If (like me) you resent paying a fee to move your own money (banks usually charge fees for CHAPS payments) then bear in mind that there's a daily limit of £10-15k for transfers you instruct via internet banking.

If you want to do it yourself, you therefore need to drip feed the solicitors over a period of days, which makes for a longer (but not impossible) process.

Can I correct you on that?? It depends on the bank you are with. We bought last year, and Santander have a £25,000 limit on payments via faster payments through online banking. We processed our £26,000 to our sols in 2 payments, first of £1,000, validating they had it before then processing the remainder in a single payment next day.

If you check on here, http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/about-us/personal-transaction you can see what the limit is by bank and by means of instruction.
  • ReadingTim
    Options
    Can I correct you on that?? It depends on the bank you are with. We bought last year, and Santander have a £25,000 limit on payments via faster payments through online banking. We processed our £26,000 to our sols in 2 payments, first of £1,000, validating they had it before then processing the remainder in a single payment next day.

If you check on here, http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/about-us/personal-transaction you can see what the limit is by bank and by means of instruction.

You can clarify some of the numbers if you like, but none of the general principles I outlined above are materially incorrect.
  • MarcoM
    MarcoM Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    It's usually a good idea to determine whether it's a mountain or a molehill well ahead of the time you actually have to face it.

That said, the best people to ask are the people you bank with, rather than random strangers off the internet.

problem with that is hsbc call centre have not got a clue, not a standard question hence why i wantef others to share their experience.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Options
    You're buying a property, people do it every day so it's hardly a transaction that's out of the ordinary. Is there a particular reason that you're concerned about providing evidence if requested as I note from your posting history that you have started several threads about AML.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    problem with that is hsbc call centre have not got a clue, not a standard question
    It's not standard that banks ask for any additional evidence, they would normally just carry out the transfer.

If you start asking the bank questions like this, it might just plant some doubts in their mind about what you're up to!
  • ReadingTim
    Options
    problem with that is hsbc call centre have not got a clue, not a standard question hence why i wantef others to share their experience.

That might be true of the first line call centre monkey you speak to initially, but hang on in there long enough and you'll get to speak to the organ grinder. Furthermore, if your question isn't standard, how likely is it that anyone else will also have encountered it? I can share my completely irrelevant experience with you if you like, but it ain't gonna help you whatsoever...

Finally, only HSBC can advise on what HSBC's policies are. If you think anyone at the bank will say "sorry, that's not bank policy, but as ReadingTim on moneysavingexpert.com says it's fine, then great" then you're sadly mistaken.

Which leads me to wonder if they've given you an answer, but as it's not the one you want to hear, you think you can find a better one on the internet...
  • SpanishBlue
    SpanishBlue Posts: 593 Forumite
    Options
    Every bank is different but I do know with Nationwide, although they have a £10,000 transaction limit, you can transfer money to the same account as many times as you like.

So eg, for a £150,000 transaction you just have to transfer £10,000 15 times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure