Indian stone paving quote

Options
Hi there,

Can you tell me if you think this quote is fair? I am based in Altrincham, Cheshire.

The quote is for:

68 metres squared Indian sandstone paving
25 linear metres of tegula block edging
36 metres squared sportsman lawn turf

Driveway to be laid on an MOT and full concrete bed
All paving joints finished with easy joint all weather paving mortar compound.

New lawn laid on root zone. Existing hedge cut back.

Take away all waste including old tarmac driveway, flower beds etc

The quote is £5,750 including VAT

Many thanks!!!!!
Aiming to be debt free by December 2016! :wave:

First Direct CC - 2,508 / Santander - 2,200 / Overdrafts - 2,000 / Total - 6,708

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Personally - I'd accept it.

I shall follow this thread with interest re my own future garden work.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    You have to get quotes and it is all based on market prices - basically how rich are you, and what can a contractor get away with taking you for. You know that because that is life!

I will just chip in with one pointer. I have just had a lawn laid. Top quality turf, from a reputable firm, with sign written lorries, and their own turf meadows. This was laid in an awkward spot so no machines were available for levelling or breaking up the soil. Obviously the company are expensive, as is the product. In addition the hand labour and preparation pushes up the cost. The bottom line bearing all this in mind... it was three times larger than your lawn and cost just over £700.

You now decide if you are happy with your quote.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The important thing is whether they are going to dig out and lay the stone at the correct depth below the damp course. Ask.
  • lilmissthrifty
    Options
    Thanks all so far - they have said they are going to dig it all out correctly and are a reputable local firm.
    Aiming to be debt free by December 2016! :wave:

First Direct CC - 2,508 / Santander - 2,200 / Overdrafts - 2,000 / Total - 6,708
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2017 at 2:21PM
    Options
    I had sandstone paving done for about £84/sqm. Not sure what yours equates to as it isn't broken down...did you get a breakdown?

Also a bit strange to have an indian sandstone driveway. Am I reading that correctly? If so, see:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/flags_driveways01.htm
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Obviously the company are expensive, as is the product. <snip> it was three times larger than your lawn and cost just over £700.

Decent lawn turf is pretty cheap, I got mine from a local supplier to Altrincham and it is £1.35 sq m.

http://www.lindowturf.com/products-and-prices/

Its all in the preparation time that the cost is added through labour, the OP quote has all the right "buzz" words such as MOT and rootzone, just make sure you get whats promised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure