Dollar bills

Options

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Then you don't have the right card. Monzo, Revolut, or Monese all useful for drawing foreign currency from ATMs without high loadings.

Although I don't know if you will find USD ATMs in the Dom Rep as its not the official currency.

Hotel reception will usually split bills for you for tips.

Monzo and Revolut have recently introduced charges for use of ATMs in some, if not all, locations.
    Assuming the OP lives near a decent size town there are likely to be a couple of exchange 'shops' on the high street. Call in and ask if they can get you $100 in 1 dollar bills. They may not carry they them on a regular basis but can probably get them.
    In the OP's situation I'd rather get them before travelling than have to faff around in resort finding ATMs and then getting somebody to split 10's downs to 1's.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Monzo and Revolut have monthly £200 limits on their free accounts. For most holidays, £200 cash is more than enough. If its not, then use multiple accounts. Add Curve and Monese and you are up to £800 with no Forex fees.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Choosing to buy foreign cash instead of using fee-free cards is foolish enough, but searching for the shop that will supply multi $1 bills instead of looking for the best rate to order online, when plenty of change will be available locally, well, what more to say...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    Cash points will not give me a load of 50 peso notes.
    I choose not to use plastic cards abroad.

They can change them up for you at the resort.
    You can choose to be ignorant of the most suitable method and I can choose to put you on ignore, so that you won't ever again waste my time, under that username.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    They can change them up for you at the resort.
    You can choose to be ignorant of the most suitable method and I can choose to put you on ignore, so that you won't ever again waste my time, under that username.

JHC - it’s only $100 for bar tips.
    Convenience.....
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Options
    Who knew currency exchange was such an emotional topic for some people!
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Options

Thing is, I didn’t ask how I could use my plastic - I never use it abroad.
    I didn’t even ask where I could get the best rate.
    But I got told what my question should have been....
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options

What a drama over nothing. The OP could have simply gone outside and asked their local companies for themselves.

The OP clearly hasn't obtained the US$ yet and will continue to waste more time in trying to obtain them.

I think they are just being pig-headed. So to make sure I don't waste my time with this kind of person, I simply put them on ignore. Nothing emotional about it. I spend some of my time helping a lot of people, so don't want to waste time with people who think they know better.

Aside from this, every sensible person these days should have a card specifically for travel, amongst other things.

What's the OP going to do in the event of an emergency? Refuse to utilise their plastic?
    So when they are forced to use it, they'll be hit with unnecessary charges because they didn't have the foresight to plan ahead.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JHC - it’s only $100 for bar tips.
    Convenience.....

We have got them from M&S in store $300 in $1 same day but normally you need to give 24 hours notice.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere in the uk I could order them.
    I asked in the post office today, but he says he doesn’t order in, he gets what denominations he’s given.

Sainsburys' certainly have $1 notes available in store.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure