Artificial Grass or Patio

Options
Hi guys,

What would be a better investment. Artificial Grass or a Patio. It's for the front of my house and there will be no use of the space apart from looking nice.

Comments

• Dedekind
    Dedekind Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's so personal really. I would never ever go with artificial grass because to me it looks.. artificial.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dedekind wrote: »
    It's so personal really. I would never ever go with artificial grass because to me it looks.. artificial.

Couldn't agree more. It's a very personal choice, and personally I'm of the same opinion as regards artificial grass. But some people love it.

Another option to consider - and this again depends entirely on your circumstances - is gravel. It's a little bit more work to maintain, in that you'll inevitably get a few weeds, even with weed-proof membrane underneath. But it's often recommended as a slight burglar-deterrent, as it's difficult to walk over it without making a noise.

You may need to consider rainwater, whatever option you choose. I know some areas have laws that say such-and-such a percentage of the area must be water-permeable. If everything is covered with non-porous surfaces, the rainwater can't soak in to the ground, and so contributes to flood problems. This may not be an issue, but it may be worth just a quick check on your local council's planning website to see if there are any restrictions.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Top of the range artificial grass is very difficult to distinguish from the real thing. A house down the road from us had it laid, and it was only in very hot weather when 'real' grass started to brown, that I realised it was artificial.
    I would probably still go for patio, as it's a bit more versatile for use.
    The sub-base for artificial grass would be just as permeable as a decent base laid for gravel.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Dedekind wrote: »

+1

Why have artificial grass? Have paving, gravel, whatever. The world needs less plastic.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How big an area?

If not being used why not some planting that is relatively low maintenance.
  • 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Better investment in terms of what? If it's for resale, I would avoid artificial grass.
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My parents next door has artificial grass... he hoovers it about every 3 days!

If there's not going to be much use of the area why don't you go for a rockary type area with gravel and a few low maintenance plants?
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Artificial grass isn’t maintenance free! It needs to be cleaned or bits of soil gather and real grass and/or moss start to grow ...
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The cost of artifical grass can pay for a lot of grass cuts. I've never seen an artificial lawn that didn't look like an artificial lawn. I'd opt for sazaccount's suggestion and plant for low maintenance.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hard landscaping or artificial grass on their own don't 'look nice;' they just appear soulless and boring, advertising to the world that someone with little or no imagination lives in the house.

Planting alongside hard landscaping works much better. Backbone shrubs like rosemary and bay take very little maintenance and you can cook with them too! Add a few rockery/small perennials, depending on the size of the area, and there will be a bit of colour and interest there much of the year.

Why is it people often don't plant anything until they come to sell, then start thinking about kerb-appeal, so whip out and buy some annuals and stick them in pots? This shows they know it makes a difference. And it's not like it's rocket science to have a bit of nature working for you 24/7 x 365. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure