From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Christmas jumpers are a pain. Luckliy they can be cheap(ish) but still an expense. Lets hope they don't grow too much so they can wear them next year!
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    My 3 have Xmas jumper day tomorrow too. I got them early this year - home bargains are around £6-7 and I bought them slightly too big so hopefully we can reuse them next year :o

Hope you have a good day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aldi had some Christmas jumpers near me too. I agree though, the 'extras' I have spent on school events this Christmas has been so expensive and I just have the one child, I can't imagine how people with several children afford it.
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    So possibly you need a £300 budget for August as well as Christmas savings? :( Great that you had enough from September onwards to pay for the Secret Santa and meal out - and enjoyed it!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Drawingaline
    Options
    My mum works in a charity shop so she picks Xmas jumpers up for the kids there. I refuse to buy them. I also refuse to wear one at work. I got a bit shirty with them and asked where it states a Xmas jumpers as part of the official uniform in our staff handbook!
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Ah, never thought of Home Bargains for Christmas jumpers. Hopefully by next year we should have an Aldi nearby...the building is going up at the moment. That's a good idea to buy a slightly bigger size, WF.

We've never had Christmas jumper day before, so it's caught me off guard somewhat. I agree MeandO, I also seem to have had lots of bits and pieces to pay for as extras, which individually don't seem very much, but the total amount is :eek:.

On a culinary note, I have rediscovered a warming and filling dessert that I've introduced to the children and they enjoy it!! Chocolate up and over pudding...even better, its relatively cheap to make:).

My day off today, so will be trying to get as much done on the Christmas present front. I was able to get 2 books for DD2 written by one of her favourite authors :), so need to get stocking filler type gifts while the children are at school.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chocolate up and over filling sounded lovely. I've never heard of it, so gave it a google. It sounds fab.

Christmas jumpers I can see were a pain. Did you get something that can be grown into by a younger child? At least that way you'll get a bit more use. Unless you've got a set of same size twins in your brood. Looking in the charity shops early on might be a good idea, I doubt they get worn that much, but you can't do that unless you know it's going to happen.

Did you manage to get some Christmas shopping done?
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I got a couple of jumpers for the DDs. Although they are not twins and have a 2 year age gap, they are the same size in clothing. DD4 is smaller in height for her age hence the similarity. One jumper was fairly red and unisex so could be saved for the toddler!

I did gets lots done yesterday in terms of appointments for children and catching up with a couple of friends as I'm not likely to see them now before Christmas. I did go online and got presents sorted for godchildren so that is now done and I don't need to worry about that.

I'm going to collect DD1 today...everyone is looking forward to having her home. I have a few presents still to get for the older children but will do that on Thursday when term finishes.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    I've just read your entire diary honeysuckle. I too had a bit of a nightmare with tax credits in the summer when I switched from joint claim to single claim and ended up receiving nothing from them for about seven weeks. It is an absolute nightmare but thankfully I am sorted now apart from a small overpayment. Did you ever get the appointment with cab?

Subscribing now to your diary as I hope to be able to grow some bits from seeds this year and will follow you.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thanks for dropping by Mumoffour :wave:. The tax credit situation in the summer was a nightmare. I still haven't got to CAB, which .I must do. I find that my one day off ends up being filled with so many catch up jobs that I haven't got to it. I must make an appointment in the New Year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family