CGT for joint account

Options
Am i correct in assuming that because we have a joint account we can earn 4k of dividends before paying CGT

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    joebob wrote: »
    Am i correct in assuming that because we have a joint account we can earn 4k of dividends before paying CGT
    Dividends aren't related to CGT but are subject to income tax, so you'll need to clarify your situation in more detail before anyone can advise....
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

No, because you dont pay CGT on dividends.
  • joebob
    joebob Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To clarify i/we have recieved nearly 2k in dividend payments in the last 12 months. would we have to pay income tax on this when it exceeds 2k or 4k.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depends upon who the dividends are payable to... having a joint account doesn't absolve you of your personal tax liability. I might have £5,000 of dividends paid into our joint account, my other half has nothing. I'm liable.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am confused.

What do you mean by a joint account for dividends?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CGT does not apply to dividend income.

Do you mean you have a fund/share account in joint names?

Or that you hold shares in joint names?

Or that each of you have funds/shares owned separately but the dividends are paid into a joint account?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 25 January 2020 at 9:30PM
    Options
    To clarify i/we have recieved nearly 2k in dividend payments in the last 12 months. would we have to pay income tax on this when it exceeds 2k or 4k.
    Do you mean I, or we? The £2k allowance for paying 0% on dividends is for each UK resident owning the shares which produced the income.

If you mean we, and the shares are jointly owned in a joint broker account (or you hold paper shares in joint names), then yes you could receive £4k between you from those shares, before each of you reach the level at which you've used up your £2k allowances.

If the shares are your shares, then the income is yours, even if you gift some of it to your other half by putting it in a joint bank account. In that case, if you have nearly received £2k of dividends in the last 12 months then you would be close to using up your £2k allowance if you continue at that rate on an ongoing basis. Of course, the 0% rate on the first £2k of dividend income is per tax year rather than per calendar year.
  • joebob
    joebob Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    CGT does not apply to dividend income.

Do you mean you have a fund/share account in joint names?

Or that you hold shares in joint names?

Or that each of you have funds/shares owned separately but the dividends are paid into a joint account?

we have a trading account with ii in joint names.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure