Paypal scam

Options
I believe I have been the victim of a scam.
I responded to an ad on facebook for 'the worlds smallest printer'...being slightly concerned as it was a chinese company i chose to pay via paypal as this afforded 'paypal protection'. The item cost $36.98.
I received a small cheap plastic camera instead from the company. I complained to the company ( applepods ltd ) and was informed that if i did not contact paypal they would offer me a 50% refund. I refused and contacted paypal. Paypal reviewed the case and found in my favour, but insisted i must return the cheap camera, via a tracked service, at my expense to the seller before issuing a refund. I priced this service and it was costing £37.50. more than the refund price i was due. I contacted paypal to complain about this, but they still insist that at my expense, i return the item before they will issue a refund.
I believe the scam is :- Company advertises an item at a very good price of 36.98 then sends an item at a value of around £1.00 using the chinese freepost system...if buyer complains then they offer a refund of 50%.. giving them a profit of approx $18...if buyer escalates the case to paypal they then insist on the cheap value item being returned to them as they are aware it costs more than the refund due.
This scam can only work if paypal insist on the company's terms of returning the item at buyers expense ( i have asked them to email me a returns label at their expense as they have not sent the item i ordered ) Therefor making paypal protection worthless

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2020 at 7:16PM
    Options
    There's a few more reports about them here: https://www.signal-arnaques.com/en/scam/view/194296 (just found on google - I don't know anything about this site)

There appears to be a few web sites all related to the same company: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/filippo.store

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/arriba.store
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    Here is something I found in their really unusual terms and conditions: "We do not warrant that the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you will meet your expectations, or that any errors in the Service will be corrected."

and also a hint they are not going to honour bulk orders, which of course you would return (or part thereof) and get your money back from paypal: "We reserve the right to limit or prohibit orders that, in our sole judgment, appear to be placed by dealers, resellers or distributors."
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • manusmcgee
    Options
    Here is something I found in their really unusual terms and conditions: "We do not warrant that the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you will meet your expectations, or that any errors in the Service will be corrected."

and also a hint they are not going to honour bulk orders, which of course you would return (or part thereof) and get your money back from paypal: "We reserve the right to limit or prohibit orders that, in our sole judgment, appear to be placed by dealers, resellers or distributors."
    Thanks..the point of my post is that i expected to get my money back from paypal..but paypal insist i return the item with a tracking number which costs more than i paid for the item...really making paypal protection worthless
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    manusmcgee wrote: »
    Thanks..the point of my post is that i expected to get my money back from paypal..but paypal insist i return the item with a tracking number which costs more than i paid for the item...really making paypal protection worthless

It doesn't make Paypal Protection worthless.

You chose to buy from a company that is outside of the UK. Paypal, quite rightly, need to see a proof of return to ensure they are being as fair as they can be in refunding the monies.

As it happens, Paypal do offer a partial reimbursement; if you qualify; with their Returns On Us programme. However it is only £15.

Tracking a parcel outside the UK is expensive and unless you use a courier is likely to fail for a Paypal case anyhow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure