Sky won’t allow cancellation

Options
I am 6 months into an 18 month sky tv package contract.
I phoned today to ask to cancel my package and pay any early cancellation fees due. They refused point blank and wil not allow me to cancel and pay early cancellation charges. I’ve been with them 14yrs if that makes a difference.
I thought about stopping my DD to be in breach of contract but worried it will affect my credit rating.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv
    Cancelling outside of your cooling off period
    Cancellation period

A minimum of 31 days’ notice (cancellation period) is required to cancel your Sky TV services.

Early termination charges

When you sign up to Sky TV, a minimum contract period applies (also known as a minimum term). For most Sky products, the minimum contract period is 12 months or 18 months, unless otherwise stated.

If you stop receiving or cancel a Sky service before the end of your contract (minimum term), you may have to pay an early termination charge. We’ll contact you to let you know if you’ll have to pay any charges and how much they’ll be.

So whoever you spoke to was not telling you the truth.

How the charges are worked out is given at https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early

From the first link I gave https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv just go to the bottom of the page and click on the Yes button after the text "Do you want to cancel Sky TV?" . Then you get a choice of methods to contact them. Choose a method that gives you written evidence of your request, never phone them to cancel .
  • Zoe_Willingham
    Options
    Thankyou, I quoted this to them
    And spoke to two managers. They said I had no right of cancellation and they could not cancel it for me. I will write to them now. Thankyou.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    From https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv

So whoever you spoke to was not telling you the truth.

How the charges are worked out is given at https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early

From the first link I gave https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv just go to the bottom of the page and click on the Yes button after the text "Do you want to cancel Sky TV?" . Then you get a choice of methods to contact them. Choose a method that gives you written evidence of your request, never phone them to cancel .

Incorrect I'm afraid, you missed out the important part:-
    For Sky TV/Sky Q, HD, Sky+, Sky Multiscreen and Sky Q experience:
    To end your contract, you’ll need to give us at least 31 days’ notice, which can’t end before your minimum term finishes. The early termination charges below are only payable if we end the relevant TV contract within your minimum term because you’ve breached your terms and conditions.

If you cancel your service(s) after you’ve reached the end of your minimum term, you won’t have to pay any early termination charges.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The "important bit" isn't on the page I quoted from. Where does it come from? URL would be helpful Colin.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    The "important bit" isn't on the page I quoted from. Where does it come from? URL would be helpful Colin.

It's on the one you quoted yourself:-

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early

When do I have to pay early termination charges?

For Sky Mobile, Broadband, Talk and/or Line Rental:
    Early termination charges only apply if your subscription ends before the end of your minimum term, for reasons other than those permitted under your contract. Please read your contract for more details. Your Sky Mobile contract is available at sky.com/mycontract (sign in with your Sky iD).

For Sky TV/Sky Q, HD, Sky+, Sky Multiscreen and Sky Q experience:
    To end your contract, you’ll need to give us at least 31 days’ notice, which can’t end before your minimum term finishes. The early termination charges below are only payable if we end the relevant TV contract within your minimum term because you’ve breached your terms and conditions.

If you cancel your service(s) after you’ve reached the end of your minimum term, you won’t have to pay any early termination charges.

It came up a little while back which is why I remembered it.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above, the fact that they mention early termination charges doesn't take away from the fact that you have no legal right to cancel the contract within the minimum term.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Colin
    I quoted from the first link , not the charges one so it was correctly quoted. I didn't go to the charges page as the first page clearly states that you can leave within the minimum term subject to early exit fees.

So Sky have 2 contradictory web pages, not good for customers or them.

Would suggest the OP raises this issue with the Sky at the ceo email address.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zoe Im afraid to say it wont affect your credit rating but it will affect your credit history, lenders cant see your rating.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Given the heavy cancellation charges you will incur, is there a reason why you are cancelling with a year still to run?
    Of course you have a legal right to cancel, but in doing so you are in breach of contract and the penalty charges will be applied to your final bill.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • vbnmu
    vbnmu Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope am not breaching forum rules for bumping an old thread...

OP what was the outcome of this?
    In Feb I signed up to an 18 month Sky Q contract costing £11 then increased to £13 at some point; I've called them twice in the past few months hoping to cancel but it seems that Sky don't allow early termination.

While it was my choice to agree to that contract in Feb, we've barely watched any TV since January when my little one was born prematurely. In recent months I've not watched any TV at all and I could do without the extra cost at this time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback