PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rented flat terrible floor creeking

Options
Hi there,

Picked up the keys today for newly rented flat. Went to see the place and to our disapointment the living room and kitchen floors are annoyingly creeky.

You literally can't step anywhere without loud creeking. (I'm not talking about normal creeks). Its upsetting to say the least, especially with being excited to move in.

When viewing the property beforehand, we either didnt notice (seems unlikely) or maybe the floors have been changed.

So my question is, am I entitled to bring this up? The estate agent has done an inspection without mentioning it, so I'm assuming they think its fine.

Is it the landlord/estate agents duty to resolve this or will I be stuck with it?

Many thanks

Comments

• buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    What flooring is it, laminate, carpet, vinyl?
  • couldbeanyone77
    Options
    Carpet in living room and vinyl in kitchen
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

So my question is, am I entitled to bring this up?

Yes
    The estate agent has done an inspection without mentioning it, so I'm assuming they think its fine.
    Add it to thecheck-in inventory before you sign.

Is it the landlord/estate agents duty to resolve this
    No
    or will I be stuck with it?
    Up to how the LL responds.

Many thanks
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Assuming the carpet is fitted and the vinyl glued down, and again, assuming this is a timber "suspended" floor of planks or boards on joists below the floor covering, fixing the creaks could be a couple of days work.

I had this problem in my own home, caused by loose boards which a plumber was obviously too idle to secure after fitting central heating; quite fiddly to fix. I lived with it for four years, waited til we re-carpeted, then after removing all the furniture and stripping the old covering, I spent a whole day lifting many of the existing boards to find out where the pipe runs were and to avoid puncturing them when nailing and screwing them down again, before the carpet fitter arrived. I still managed to nick one pipe!

So you could mention it. In fact, unless they've always been like that (as in the case of an old conversion or a shoddy new build) the LL might like to know a plumber has botched the carpenty (as in my case- the most common reason). But don't hold your breath!
  • couldbeanyone77
    Options
    Thank you for the help everyone. I've put this to the estate agent and waiting to hear back.

I did have one further question:

If the landlord doesn't want to do anything about it - what can be done?

I've paid down a deposit + rent for a property with a difference from the original viewing, that would certainly have stopped us from choosing it.
  • batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    different in what way?

are you saying the landlord went in after you had viewed and made the floorboards creaky?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A very outside possibility, is it particularly cold where you are? Was it warmer when you viewed? Is your flat over a cold space? Our bedroom floor which is over the unheated garage has one board which creaks when the weather gets cold. Stops when it warms up again.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 February 2018 at 4:48PM
    Options

I've paid down a deposit + rent for a property with a difference from the original viewing, that would certainly have stopped us from choosing it.
    I don't understand this.

Do you mean you viewed property A, but agreed to rent property B? If so, I'm afraid it is down to you - you chose (for whatever reason) to rent property B witthout viewing it!

Or do you mean you viewed property A, put down a deposit for property A, but were then presented with a tenancy agrement for property B? Again? if so, it was your choice to sign the TA fo B without viewing it.

Or do you mean you viewed property A, put down a deposit for property A, were given and signed a tenancy agrement for property A, but were then given keys to property B? If so, why on earth did you not demand the keys to A?
  • couldbeanyone77
    Options
    batg wrote: »
    different in what way?

are you saying the landlord went in after you had viewed and made the floorboards creaky?

Yes, that's absolutely the case.

We viewed the property 4 weeks ago and the estate agent today confirmed work was carried out since this time.
  • couldbeanyone77
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    A very outside possibility, is it particularly cold where you are? Was it warmer when you viewed? Is your flat over a cold space? Our bedroom floor which is over the unheated garage has one board which creaks when the weather gets cold. Stops when it warms up again.

It's somewhat cold yes, however it's happening everywhere in the rooms, as opposed to isolated places.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure